Help!

Jinxx17

Hey everyone!! I like to game on my lenovo yoga 920 I know its weird but i wanted to know if i run a unpowered usb splitter on it using a rgb gaming keyboard as well as gaming mouse if it'll mess up my motherboard or mess up my usb port? Please help and thank you in advance!!!

No such thing

BTW that model isn't designed for gaming unless you want to use eGPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

57 minutes ago, Jinxx17 said:

Hey everyone!! I like to game on my lenovo yoga 920 I know its weird but i wanted to know if i run a unpowered usb splitter on it using a rgb gaming keyboard as well as gaming mouse if it'll mess up my motherboard or mess up my usb port? Please help and thank you in advance!!!

Could you elaborate a little bit on what type of gaming you're striving for?  Are we talking older games such as Need for Speed, San Andreas, Counterstrike, etc.?  Also, what is your processor?  I've seen the HD 620 graphics play games like GTA 5 at a resolution of 768 at roughly 30-35fps.

Either way, you're essentially looking at more power consumption resulting in higher temperatures.  Download a temperature-monitoring application and keep an eye out on a range you feel comfortable with.  As for overall power consumption, another good indicator would be watching your power supply's heat output to make sure it's not being overloaded.  I'm certainly no expert, but more power usually equates to higher temperatures.  I've used my USB expansion for a few years now and the original port it was plugged into still works like a charm; that said, the system is an Optiplex 9020 with additional fans and ample ventilation. 

32 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

No such thing

BTW that model isn't designed for gaming unless you want to use eGPU

They actually do make unpowered USB splitters.... I have a 4-port USB 3.0 expansion that plugs into one of my USB ports.  https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10895349063277392258_18363952253652731964_118724597  <--- There's one similar to mine. 

Also, being able to game without an eGPU would be relative to what his expectations of gaming are.  Obviously he can't run Triple-A titles at high or ultra settings, but there's a plethora of games out there that his Yoga is more than capable of playing quite well; especially some of the aforementioned classics like San Andreas, Counter Strike, and most of the Need for Speed series.  It's all relative to what his expectations are. 

My Current Rig (Still a Work in Progress):  Coffee Lake FTW 

Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro
CPU: Core i3-8100 3.6ghz Quad-Core
Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 32GB
Storage: Samsung MZ-76E500B/AM 500GB + Seagate ST3000DM001    Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC 4GB

PSU: Corsair CX550M
Case: Raidmax - Ninja II ATX Mid Tower Case 

Special THANK YOU to forum contributor, Trulop, for his insights, patience, and time. He's a great guy!

Sorry im not really doing like big gaming mainly like league of legends.

11 hours ago, Jinxx17 said:

Sorry im not really doing like big gaming mainly like league of legends.

Then honestly, you should be just fine.  Like I said, just always be mindful of your temperatures of your laptop, your battery, and your power supply; like I said, you can get CPU temperature monitoring software for free on the internet, but with the battery and the power supply, that's kinda gonna have to be something you just feel out for yourself... if it's hot, then you need to ease off for a few and let things cool back down.  If you notice it being a continuing trend of overheating in any of the aforementioned aspects, then you may need to lessen the load by not using as many peripherals.  

Hope I've been of help! 

My Current Rig (Still a Work in Progress):  Coffee Lake FTW 

Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro
CPU: Core i3-8100 3.6ghz Quad-Core
Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-2400 32GB
Storage: Samsung MZ-76E500B/AM 500GB + Seagate ST3000DM001    Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC 4GB

PSU: Corsair CX550M
Case: Raidmax - Ninja II ATX Mid Tower Case 

Special THANK YOU to forum contributor, Trulop, for his insights, patience, and time. He's a great guy!