How to trigger audio events while programming games?

Nuudles

Hi,

I'd like to explain my titel a bit better here.

For example if you play a RPG and you strike with your sword, your character says something like "hugh!". Now everytime you do this the game knows when to play that sound.

But where is this information stored? Is there a special software where you can assign different sounds to different events in the game? And tell them when to trigger?`Or is there a kind of audio motion track of a game?
Or are there single/multiple assignments in the programm code? Or do they use a special file format to connect event and sound? e.g. something like a file with meta data like they have in the movie file section.

Hope my question is somehow intelligible ?

Otherwise feel free to ask me again :D

Thanks and greetz
Nuudles

well, let's say it's a programming language (doesn't matter which)

It will tell the game if something happens, do that

on this one it's simply said (but different in the programming language) if swing sprite (sword) play sound (hugh)

edit: I use wav as it can be converted to both mp4 and ogg vorbis

Edited by LukeSavenije

Ok. The programming process is just what I thought.

So there is no way to give me all the sound events of a game in a file or format?
If there would be something like this I could take the sounds from a game, put in my own sounds and I could hear them when the game sends the right trigger for it.

4 hours ago, Nuudles said:

So there is no way to give me all the sound events of a game in a file or format?

If you can find the sound, technically you can change it. How difficult this is depends on whether the sound files are simply stored in an audio directory as e.g. sword_strike.wav or in a more fancy way somewhere less obvious.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 11/30/2018 at 7:36 PM, tikker said:

If you can find the sound, technically you can change it. How difficult this is depends on whether the sound files are simply stored in an audio directory as e.g. sword_strike.wav or in a more fancy way somewhere less obvious.

Yeah, old games had a directory with all the soundfiles but this isn't the case today. 
I was just wondering if there is a different solution today. Like the file or format i mentioned.