I need some help with streamlabs low fps

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum so I hope I post this in the right thing. 

Anyway, I had a question about Streamlabs OBS. 

I want to start streaming on twitch and decided to use Streamlabs. Everything seemed fine until I tried to run a test stream and everything was extremely laggy. I had a lot of frame drops and my fps dropped below 30 on the stream while in-game I had no issues. 

My CPU was roughly on 50-60% usage while streaming so no real stress on it to my opinion. My GPU was also doing fine. 

So my question is how come it struggles so much and what can I do to fix my low fps rate?

this is my spec list:

Intel: i7-3770

MOBO: some aftermarket thing, nothing special

RAM: 16GB DDR3

GPU: GTX 1070ti

internet speed: 30-40 mbps up and down stream

Streamlabs and the game I was testing are both installed on my ssd, but I don’t think that would really matter. 

Thank you for your help and patience with a newbie on this forum. 

-Hyrum

ps. Also let me know if I might have to move this discussion in a different group. 

“As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness.” 
 Dieter F. Uchtdorf

28 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

What are your obs settings

I will have to tell you that later today, because I don’t know them on top of my head. I’m at college right now. 

“As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness.” 
 Dieter F. Uchtdorf

40 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

What are your obs settings

Alright I am very lucky with a wife who is still home to pass me some info on to me. 

So the settings were set up I believe by OBS itself. When I first booted the program it did a auto set up.  So this is what it tells me:

Output mode: simple

Video bitrate: 6000

encoder: NVENC

Audio bitrate: 160

Now I can also change the output mode to advance which gives me more options to change things. If I dont touch anything it gives me this info

Output mode: advance

Encoder: Software x264

Enforce streaming service encoder settings: off

Rescale output: on

Output resolution: 1920x1080

Rate control: CBR

Bitrate: 4000 (I dont know why this all of a sudden changes)

Custom buffer size: on

buffer size: 2500

Keyframe interval: 2

CPU usage preset: Ultrafast

Profile: high

Tune: none

I hope this gives enough information. 

Thank you for your help!

ps. Sorry for the pictures of a pc screen, my wife doesn’t know how to take screenshots on a pc. 

3A2CB1E9-AB09-4926-81BC-B78874CB560C.jpeg

2933D060-707B-43EF-ADD6-A5C9F9195934.jpeg

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I'll look into them and compare them to mine, cant really remember all of it from the top of my head. In the meanwhile try to use DDU to uninstall your gpu drivers, restart, install the newest drivers and restart the pc again and try it like that, once you are home. Somehow the windows updates screwed my drivers and I didnt get any power out of the gpu until I did a reinstall.

probably you are streamig with the integrated graphic card on the cpu and not the external one, try also to set the output fps at 30 .

11 hours ago, ZeouLs said:

I'll look into them and compare them to mine, cant really remember all of it from the top of my head. In the meanwhile try to use DDU to uninstall your gpu drivers, restart, install the newest drivers and restart the pc again and try it like that, once you are home. Somehow the windows updates screwed my drivers and I didnt get any power out of the gpu until I did a reinstall.

Have you had some time yet to check it out?

also, is there a change that my processor is just not good enough anymore?

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I think I have figured it out. The game I was testing with was Rainbow Six Siege. I noticed that R6 is very unusually heavy on the CPU. R6 is apparently optimised to use multiple CPU cores which is difficult for my CPU since it's only a quad core.

Do you guys have any other idea to tackle that problem? Or should I just get a new CPU with a higher core count?

Dieter F. Uchtdorf