Samsung 970 evo performing weird.

Terrorgod

So i recently just built myself a new Ryzen pc and I did kinda cheap out on an Asrock x370 Pro4 motherboard as i wanted two m.2 ports without breaking the bank. I got a 970 evo cheap enough and I couldnt install windows on it at all when i first launched up the computer despite the fact that it appeared in the bios as an option. It would do the installation slower than anything I have seen before and fail no matter what. I then used an 860 evo just to get through this phase and tried cloning to reach a failure after 7 seconds using the samsung cloning software. Later after download the NVMe firmware and samsung magician i got the thing working fairly well but realised it just felt slower than my laptops 960 evo, so i ran crystal disk mark and passmark just to check it out what kind of speeds i was getting and the sequential read and write are faster but everything else is so much slower its kind of a shock. I dont have a screenshot of the 960 evo on me while writing this but here is the 970 evo's crystal disk mark and for passmark it rated the 970 evo at 56th percentile while the 960 evo in my laptop was in the 98th percentile.

My question is this really how the 970 evo performs? Is there some type of setting im missing? (since my 960 installed with ease without the need of any firmwares.)  

For your information the laptop the 960 evo is in is a Alienware 17 r3 and both drives in their respective computers have 4x pcie lanes with drivers from the samsung magician tool.

Both are 500gb models.

Untitled.png

I dont believe my windows is bugged out as it works fine with everything else and the 860 evo scores as it should. The 970 evo is in the ultra m.2 slot as they were kind enough to label it for me. and im not sure how i would check for thermal throttling on that but would it be fine with certain tasks and horribly on others with a situation like that. just for measure i benchmarked the 860 evo and im certain that the 970 shouldn't be this far behind the 860 in random read/write when you compare the two.

860 scores.png

The latest bios did not change anything for me so im going to try just swapping my RAM slots. The memory does act kinda weird as it defaults to lower than advertised speeds despite what the XMP settings say its going to do.

I did have the NVMe driver from them as it was the only way it would let me get windows on it but the issue has been resolved. That tidbit on ram was it as after i swapped the ports to A2/B2 vs A1/B1 and the numbers are already way better! Thank you so much for your help!

afterimage.png

Yea im laughing at how that was. the RAM's running at advertised speeds now as well and thinking on it that should have marked more red flags for me XD. Thanks again and hopefully this does help someone else out there!