CPU compatibility

kiv

Hi,

I'm not sure if the CPU and motherboard I am planning to buy will work.

Motherboard: H370 GAMING PRO CARBON INTEL H370 (SOCKET 1151) DDR4 ATX MOTHERBOARD

CPU: Intel i5 9600k

After replacing the motherboard do I have to do anything in windows?

Any other recommendations please leave bellow

you'll need to re-enter your product key or install a fresh copy of windows with a CPU and MB swap. 

The 9600k will run in an h370 motherboard however you won't be able to overclock. The main reason why someone would buy a 9600k is to overclock it as it's a k version. To overclock you would need a z370 or z390 motherboard. I would opt for an i5 8400 and a b360 motherboard if you aren't interested in overclocking. 

Yup @Brooksie359 is right. The h370 isnt the best choice since it doesn't let you take advantage of the unlocked cpu. If a motherboard and a CPU both have the same socket, then the CPU will fit in the motherboard. Intel's main socket type for consumer mainstream stuff is LGA1151.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yup @Brooksie359 is right. The h370 isnt the best choice since it doesn't let you take advantage of the unlocked cpu. If a motherboard and a CPU both have the same socket, then the CPU will fit in the motherboard. Intel's main socket type for consumer mainstream stuff is LGA1151.

The problem is things get muddy with the 100 series and 200 series chipsets have essentially the same socket as the 300 series but an 8th gen or 9th gen cpu won't function in them without a workaround that doesn't really work all that well. Easiest way to explain it is that the b360 h370 z370 and z390 chipset motherboards work with the 9th gen and 8th gen cpus. That being said the 9900k and the 9700k require a good z390 to work properly as they need good power delivery. 

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The problem is things get muddy with the 100 series and 200 series chipsets have essentially the same socket as the 300 series but an 8th gen or 9th gen cpu won't function in them without a workaround that doesn't really work all that well. Easiest way to explain it is that the b360 h370 z370 and z390 chipset motherboards work with the 9th gen and 8th gen cpus. That being said the 9900k and the 9700k require a good z390 to work properly as they need good power delivery. 

Yup. Though, say someone has like an i5 8600k on z370 on one of the best z370 boards for oc'ing, a 9th gen chip will manage on it, plus it already has the bios flash.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for the help, Incase any of you were wondering I now have a Gigabyte z390 pro and an i5 9600k OC 4.8Ghz