PCIE card over built in wifi

Zoya Mist

So my router is on the other side of my house and I have no chance of getting a wired connection. I was wondering if getting a PCIE card would give me better connection over the built in wifi one I'm using on my prebuilt. Currently I have to use a wifi extender to get a good connection but its getting really annoying having to use it as my current download speed is 1.3 mbs. 

Edit: I also want to move everything into a better case but because of the built in wifi I'm on the fence. If a PCIE card will give better performance I'll be able to without worries.

Suggestion A: try a powerline adapter first? Honestly i think you would get a better experience out of that. 

The wifi card *might* help, especially if you get antennae extenders, honestly at that rate you might as well just get a usb extension cable and usb dongle though and its not a guarantee of speed or signal availability improvement.

As above, a powerline adapter would be a great shout here. Although if you're in an older house with older wiring, you might not get the best speeds through it.

You'r best shout is to get a long enough cable, run it along skirting boards and around door frames. It's what I do. With good management the cable is hardly noticeable. 

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

Tossing in my hat for powerline adapter if your house has semi newer cabling and you get a decent set of adapters.  I use a pair for my living room hardware and have zero issues. 

If you are determined to use wireless, a PCIe card with antennas would probably be best.  A USB dongle *can* have subpar throughput depending on which type of USB interface it uses (2.0 vs 3.0 etc).  Of course I say this with relativity and large grains of salt implied.

5 hours ago, Tzomb1e said:

Tossing in my hat for powerline adapter if your house has semi newer cabling and you get a decent set of adapters.  I use a pair for my living room hardware and have zero issues. 

If you are determined to use wireless, a PCIe card with antennas would probably be best.  A USB dongle *can* have subpar throughput depending on which type of USB interface it uses (2.0 vs 3.0 etc).  Of course I say this with relativity and large grains of salt implied.

My house is only 14 to 15 years old so I think that counts as newer. Do you have any suggestions on a good powerline adapter? I mainly use my pc for gaming and watching stuff online.

On 11/27/2018 at 5:03 PM, Zoya Mist said:

My house is only 14 to 15 years old so I think that counts as newer. Do you have any suggestions on a good powerline adapter? I mainly use my pc for gaming and watching stuff online.

There are many others but these popped up first in my search for you:

Tp-link 1 ethernet port adaper

http://a.co/d/1KDbGmR

Netgear 2 Ethernet port adapter

http://a.co/d/iW5D2Cj

Do remember you may not experience full speeds.

a good Linus video about these sort of adapters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQeJCa3jl8

On 11/27/2018 at 8:03 PM, Zoya Mist said:

Sorry for the delay.  I personally use the TP-Link AV2000.  My only complaint is how bulky they are, but with the performance I get out of them, that complaint is minimal.  They are a little pricey, I got them during a black friday sale last year sometime for less than they are now. 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-Through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543506670&sr=8-3&keywords=tp-link+av2000

1 hour ago, BakugoHero said:

Do remember you may not experience full speeds.

a good Linus video about these sort of adapters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywQeJCa3jl8

Also good to keep in mind.  YMMV since there are so many factors with powerline.  I purchased mine knowing that under best case scenario it could handle the throughput I was wanting plus a fair percent more. 

9 hours ago, Tzomb1e said:

Sorry for the delay.  I personally use the TP-Link AV2000.  My only complaint is how bulky they are, but with the performance I get out of them, that complaint is minimal.  They are a little pricey, I got them during a black friday sale last year sometime for less than they are now. 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-Through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543506670&sr=8-3&keywords=tp-link+av2000

Also good to keep in mind.  YMMV since there are so many factors with powerline.  I purchased mine knowing that under best case scenario it could handle the throughput I was wanting plus a fair percent more. 

Thank you so much, hopefully this will help