optane

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
7 minutes ago, hypermodel said:

hmm i thought it was a smart move for my old harddrives 

You can do this with any ssd, no need for optane here. And your system already does this with the system ram onboard.

But with a cpu that old, thats hurting the loading times aswell as your waiting for the cpu to process all the files from the disk.

i saw optane on an vga card slot

could that work for me i have P5E3 PRO motherboard from asus

yes i have 2 ordinary hard drives and one ssd

It will work fine, its a nvme drive, works like any other nvme drive. But you can't boot from it, and its gonna be slower due to the slower pcie speed. And the intel caching software won't work. Really id look into a platform upgrade first.

it is not realy about the money but about removing old hdd that work fine ; i realy don't wan't to polute nature with something that still works

so i wanted too speed up hdd with it

and keep my ssd as boot

To use Optane as cache as Intel wanted to promote it, I think you need 7th gen Intel CPU or newer. However there are 3rd party cache tools (like primocache) that could also make use of it instead if you really wanted to use it with an older system.

Alternatively, if you have money to burn there are Optane SSDs, like the 900p and successor. Being realistic, the extra performance over a good NVMe isn't detectable outside benchmarks.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, hypermodel said:

it is not realy about the money but about removing old hdd that work fine ; i realy don't wan't to polute nature with something that still works

If you save it or give it away, you're not poluting the nature.

7 minutes ago, hypermodel said:

hmm i thought it was a smart move for my old harddrives 

You can do this with any ssd, no need for optane here. And your system already does this with the system ram onboard.

But with a cpu that old, thats hurting the loading times aswell as your waiting for the cpu to process all the files from the disk.