Questions to ask before buying a used GPU

Blancaster

I thinking about buying a GPU on craigslist and I was wondering, what questions I should ask them before buying?

I have: 

How long did you have it?

What did you use it for?

Why are you getting rid of it?

Do not buy used GPU or hard drive or PSU.

You can buy used motherboard, cpu or ram.

And about your questions - example answer:

"I have it for one year, but I used it just once or twice, because I mostly used laptop. So I don't really need it and that's why I want to sell that GPU."

And what - do you believe that? :)

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Do not buy used GPU or hard drive or PSU.

You can buy used motherboard, cpu or ram.

And about your questions - example answer:

"I have it for one year, but I used it just once or twice, because I mostly used laptop. So I don't really need it and that's why I want to sell that GPU."

And what - do you believe that? :)

Why not buy used GPU? If the GPU was not exposed to constant high temps(like during mining), performance should be exactly the same as brand new, assuming the cooler is functioning, thermal paste is not dried out and GPU is not dusty. I understand about used HDD as it could have less speed but why PSU as well?(sorry i'm quite curious)

Agree about buying used motherboard, cpu and ram(maybe have to delid cpu depending on how much it was used)

24 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Do not buy used GPU

This just makes no sense. Half of the graphics cards I've owned are used, they're excellent. Getting a lame card is really unlikely. While you're right about dummy answers, a used graphics card is about the same as a new, minus all the crap in the box.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why don't buy used GPU? I saw many GPUs that are dead, having artifacts etc. Sometimes even after 2 years of using.

Modern GPU are made even worse - they supposed to be as silent as possible, so they do not start spining fans below 60 degree and 100% fan speed is probably somewhere around 100 degrees or more. This way card is silent, but after few years will start making problems because overheating.

Unlike CPU or motherboard that can work for years and I rarely saw CPU that is dead (and even if - CPU is dead or not, GPU may be oven cooked and works for 1-2 months), GPU can be sold as good, but stops working very soon. IMO is not worth to buy a little cheaper.

So no - used GPU is not only missing box. It's also much higher probability that something will be wrong very soon.

Im sorry but this simply isn't true. 

If you don't do stuff with your GPU that it is not made for, which 99% of GPU owners won't do, a GPU can survive an eternity.

My dad still uses his "bought as used" gtx 580 and it works perfectly fine, even after almost 8 years of usage. 

One of my friends is using a "bought as used" GTX 760, my other friend uses also a used GTX 770 and all of them work perfectly fine.

I bought a used GTX 1070ti at the beginning of the year and guess what?

It works perfectly fine and I can still overclock the sh!t out of it.

You are totally right - don't buy used storage unless you really don't care about speed and eventual loss of data (eg. in Test-Systems).

But I can't agree with you that one shouldn't buy used GPUs.

I only ask depending on brand. As if it was an evga, was it registered and if so how much of the warranty is left. 

Then if they ever swapped the cooler or thermal paste. 

Aside from that nothing really matters. They tend to mention if they smoke or have animals. Use is use so get it if it’s a deal and you need it. 

Id be more concerned about buying a used mobo than a gpu. I’ve bought used everything almost so it doesn’t really matter. If the seller is dedicated, they will show you it working or meet at their house so you can always come back?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz