Card reader drivers needed!!!

reon-iwnl

Hi all. I am working on a project in college to kind of replicate a magnetic card reader program and my professor gave me a magnetic card reader to play with. The model number is HCC206U (made around 2013 or 14) and I can't find the drivers anywhere online and also the software to run it. Would like to look for help here.

Thanks a lot!

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-26 at 20.53.15.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-11-26 at 20.53.16.jpeg

Does that thing even need a driver.

Usually they just plug and play.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Does that thing even need a driver.

Usually they just plug and play.

And how many card readers like this one you have connected? :)

@reon-iwnl: Type "MSRE driver" or "MSR card reader" and try any driver. This is one method (not so good). Second method - download from "somewhere" ;) big archive of drivers, unpack and let Windows browse them while driver update.

Some sites that sell it mention no driver needed.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 hours ago, homeap5 said:

And how many card readers like this one you have connected? :)

@reon-iwnl: Type "MSRE driver" or "MSR card reader" and try any driver. This is one method (not so good). Second method - download from "somewhere" ;) big archive of drivers, unpack and let Windows browse them while driver update.

Only this one. I tried searching for them but most of the sites are shut down and some asked me to buy the whole machine.

You don't need drivers. It's basically a keyboard (according to the OS). Hook it into your USB port, load up Notepad and swipe a card. You'll see the string of characters show up on screen. If this doesn't work then chances are the device is broken...(There is a chance that it is some obscure hardware that works differently to 99.9% of the devices on the market but that is unlikely)

I built part of the POS system for a now defunct UK PC retailer, including mag stripe readers and they all worked this way. 

3 hours ago, FlappyBoobs said:

You don't need drivers. It's basically a keyboard (according to the OS). Hook it into your USB port, load up Notepad and swipe a card. You'll see the string of characters show up on screen. If this doesn't work then chances are the device is broken...(There is a chance that it is some obscure hardware that works differently to 99.9% of the devices on the market but that is unlikely)

I built part of the POS system for a now defunct UK PC retailer, including mag stripe readers and they all worked this way. 

I'll do that. Thanks for the help thus far.