Hytec powersuply

Moharmate

I was given a 1000W Hytec powersuply from a friend and i want to use it ( to give me more headroom ) but i have never used or heard of this brand should i install it in my system or stick with the one that have currently. Currently using a old 400W that i scavanged out of a old and dead store bought computer that i had lying around.

I will be buying a proper one in the future just not sure what brand but it will be around 600W-700W.

2600K, GTX780, 16Gb 1600mHz, 120Gb vertex 3 boot, 500Gb 840 series games, 2x2Tb segate green 1 backup 1 media storage 

I wouldn't use either personally buddy. Just stick with whats working for you now. The power supply is one of the most important parts to go "high quality" on. So stick with what you got since it works, and when you go to upgrade make sure you come here for advice, we would love to help.

Tom's Hardware did a great overview of how the whole power supply business works (between OEMS and brands)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-manufacturer-oem,2729-2.html

TL;DR- Hytec isn't even on their list. For future reference (when you go to upgrade), my recommended brands are: Seasonic (OEM and brand- they are the nest in the biz), Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, and XFX

I personally have an Antec PSU in both my rig and in my mom's computer and have no regrets.

Hytech sound fishy, don't bother putting it in if you already have a working one, I have asked myself many times why I did change something out, after actually breaking it. And the smell of burnt electronics is not that good.

MEH

Thanks Witz i looked at the Toms Hardware post and found by matching the UL number the actual manufacturer is Hipro but still never heard of them and wont be using that 1000W power supply anytime soon or ever.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I will be purchasing a proper PSU as soon as I start my new job next week and I have some money coming in.

What would you recommend for a good ~600W PSU?

2600K, GTX780, 16Gb 1600mHz, 120Gb vertex 3 boot, 500Gb 840 series games, 2x2Tb segate green 1 backup 1 media storage 

Well I'm going to give you recommendations for what I would get (silver+ and modular). If you don't care about silver efficiency, or modularity than there are much more (and cheaper) options.

Corsair HX650

Corsair HX750

SeaSonix x650

XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W

Thank you for those recommendations i will be using those as a reference when i have enough money to be able to purchase one.