How to get windows onto a SECOND partition of my apple computer.

So, I have a MacBook Air 2014, and seeing as I have... 120gb storage left, I want to partition the drive, and install windows 10 to the second partition, but it won’t let me, it says windows cannot be installed to a gtp disk or something, I forgot... but whatever it says... it doesn’t matter, I can’t erase the boot drive, so I am stuck... help? Anyone? 

Pretty sure Apple has decided lately to block other operating systems. I know they don't allow Linux at least.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Pretty sure Apple has decided lately to block other operating systems. I know they don't allow Linux at least.

not W10.

the entire purpose of bootcamp is to have a windows install along side MacOS

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Windows always has, and always will be allowed on bootcamp. 

Windows 7 can't be installed on a GUID partition table (GPT) drive. (Which is what mac uses) 

I'm unsure if you can convert the drive to MBR (Master boot record) and still have the apple side work. 

You could install windows 8 or windows 10.

16 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Windows always has, and always will be allowed on bootcamp. 

Windows 7 can't be installed on a GUID partition table (GPT) drive. (Which is what mac uses) 

I'm unsure if you can convert the drive to MBR (Master boot record) and still have the apple side work. 

You could install windows 8 or windows 10.

I need it to windows 10 for it to be worth my time (and storage) Master Boot Record should work... but I can’t seem to format the partition to that format

Just now, Xeliath said:

I need it to windows 10 for it to be worth my time (and storage) Master Boot Record should work... but I can’t seem to format the partition to that format

Windows 10 can be installed on a GPT drive. The type of partition table (GPT or MBR) is PER DRIVE, not per partition. You cannot have the GPT "partition" for mac and a MBR "partition" for windows. It doesn't work like that. The GPT or MBR literally TELLS the drive and your OS where the partitions are. 

31 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This was due to the T2 chip. He has an old Air. Should be nothing stopping him if he uses Bootcamp (given he has enough space).

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

11 minutes ago, Xeliath said:

Are you using Bootcamp? What does the space on your SSD look like. It seems like you would be pretty low, not to mention it might be a tight fit to cram Windows onto it.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

21 minutes ago, MandoPanda said:

Are you using Bootcamp? What does the space on your SSD look like. It seems like you would be pretty low, not to mention it might be a tight fit to cram Windows onto it.

Windows 7 CAN fit on a 60 gb partition.... I've done it. However there really isn't a lot of space left for... other things. 

7 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Windows 7 CAN fit on a 60 gb partition.... I've done it. However there really isn't a lot of space left for... other things. 

... my windows 10 desktop has less than 45GB used TOTAL (OS included), and I have multiple games and etc on there

for my laptop, there is about 100gb free on the MacBook air, and I dedicated ~70gb to it

Edited by Xeliath
inaccurate data

8 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Windows 10 can be installed on a GPT drive. The type of partition table (GPT or MBR) is PER DRIVE, not per partition. You cannot have the GPT "partition" for mac and a MBR "partition" for windows. It doesn't work like that. The GPT or MBR literally TELLS the drive and your OS where the partitions are. 

... But... I set it to Master Boot Record when I wiped it completely (completely-completely, not just reset) and reinstalled OSX

3 hours ago, Xeliath said:

... But... I set it to Master Boot Record when I wiped it completely (completely-completely, not just reset) and reinstalled OSX

Impossible, OSX will not install on an MBR disk.  You must have started the win10 installer in legacy mode; Win started from UEFI mode will expect GPT

Uncle Billy is not going to like the fact your putting a MAC and 10 together,, mixing them up and ending up with garbage lol

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card