Reclaiming unallocated space on the SSD drive

BartJY

Hi Folks,

There are numerous very small partitions and a 21 gig unallocated space on the SSD drive that I want to expand into the drives C drive. I'm not including in this the small system files partition. The problem is,

Win 10 Disk Management is no help with my issue. The Win 10 version has lost a lot of it's former functionality. So my options seem to be, find a good and powerful third party partitioning software that is capable of combining partitions and unallocated space into a larger C drive. Or use command line routines to do the same thing. I'd rather take the first choice. To that end, what is a good and hopefully free software that you can recommend to do the job. And if not for free, what is a good, inexpensive, software program that really works? Or should I take the more difficult route and work from the command line? If so, do you know of any sources that can help achieve my goal?

Thanks

Bart

Try a software called aomei, works for partitions for me, but also there’s a chance that those are redundancy space for the drive to work efficiently.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Thanks for the software suggestions. As for the redundancy space, 21 gigs is rather large for such a space, especially when the SSD drive is only 180 gigs to begin with. I might be wrong but I thought a few hundred megabits was enough for such a thing. Yes, no or maybe?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Navid Jamali said:

Try a software called aomei, works for partitions for me, but also there’s a chance that those are redundancy space for the drive to work efficiently.

the drive already has space for wear leveling built in, you don't need to give it extra.

10 minutes ago, BartJY said:

There are numerous very small partitions and a 21 gig unallocated space on the SSD drive that I want to expand into the drives C drive. I'm not including in this the small system files partition. The problem is,

Win 10 Disk Management is no help with my issue

Screenshot of disk management? What are all these partitions doing?

Partition wizard is what I use at the PC shop. It'll let you virtually make changes (resize, move, copy, delete, etc) and then apply, and it'll do everything in one go, so you can go get a cup of coffee while it does the hard work.

Watch out for the free "offers" during install though, and as usual, make a backup of anything you can't afford to loose in the event something goes wrong.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Screenshot of disk management? What are all these partitions doing?

Here is the screenshot of my two drives. Disk 1 is the SSD. The 300MB partition has system files in it, so I'm not touching that one. The 900 MB, 350 MB and 20.1 GB are all empty and I want to add them to the OS C drive. While using EaseUS partition manager I was able to change the 20.1 GB unallocated space into a Healty Recovery Partition. Yet the EaseUS software will not combine the wasted space into a larger C drive. I'm stumped. And eventualy I want to do the same to Disk 0 which is a HDD drive. I'm using the Free version of EaseUS, so perhaps that's the reason. I just hate to spend 59 dollars to have it work.

668606670_DiskManagement.PNG.6ed5bb8cb6e501898bad4d6fdc761a76.PNG0

9 hours ago, BartJY said:

Here is the screenshot of my two drives. Disk 1 is the SSD. The 300MB partition has system files in it, so I'm not touching that one. The 900 MB, 350 MB and 20.1 GB are all empty and I want to add them to the OS C drive. While using EaseUS partition manager I was able to change the 20.1 GB unallocated space into a Healty Recovery Partition. Yet the EaseUS software will not combine the wasted space into a larger C drive. I'm stumped. And eventualy I want to do the same to Disk 0 which is a HDD drive. I'm using the Free version of EaseUS, so perhaps that's the reason. I just hate to spend 59 dollars to have it work.

668606670_DiskManagement.PNG.6ed5bb8cb6e501898bad4d6fdc761a76.PNG0

What system is this? Did you buy this as a prebuilt? Thats proably waht the 20gb recovery partition is for.

THe easy way is to reinstall and start fresh, but if you don't want to do that,

1. Make a backup. Thinks can easily go wrong here and delete all data.

2. Id boot into a linux live disk with gparted

3. Delete the 20gb on the ssd.

4. Move the 350mb partition to the end.

5. Expand the c partition.

For the hdd, you can probalby delete all the partitions other than the d partition, expand the d partition and more it to the beggining.

Thanks for the info. The only thing I don't understand is what do you mean by " Thats proably waht the 20gb recovery partition is for. " Huh? What are you referring to?