Help! I think I just deleted all my files!

Computernaut

So I was trying to reinstall Windows on a computer which (along with the boot SSD) had a HDD with all my files on it. When I got to the part where you choose the drive on which you want to install Windows, I deleted all the random partitions Windows had created on the boot SSD the last time around. But I forgot I had my files drive in the system and I deleted the partition they were on. I did not format it but I did delete the partition. I continued with the install and finished it. I have not touched the system since. How can I get my files back?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Old tutorial from Austin Evans, but it still should work fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

9 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

So I was trying to reinstall Windows on a computer which (along with the boot SSD) had a HDD with all my files on it. When I got to the part where you choose the drive on which you want to install Windows, I deleted all the random partitions Windows had created on the boot SSD the last time around. But I forgot I had my files drive in the system and I deleted the partition they were on. I did not format it but I did delete the partition. I continued with the install and finished it. I have not touched the system since. How can I get my files back?

You wont be able to get much back since reinstalling the OS will write back over your data.

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

You wont be able to get much back since reinstalling the OS will write back over your data.

I didn't install the OS on the my files disk.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

Use the program testdisk to recover the partitions. It will do a scan and you should be able to rewrite the partition to access your data how it was.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

On 10/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, SeanSSD said:

Use the program testdisk to recover the partitions. It will do a scan and you should be able to rewrite the partition to access your data how it was.

Thanks, I'll try that.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, SeanSSD said:

That is a very confusing program. Anyway, it couldn't find any of the lost files.

Not really. You just need to read how to use it. If you do, you should be able tog et everything back without issue

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

26 minutes ago, SeanSSD said:

Not really. You just need to read how to use it. If you do, you should be able tog et everything back without issue

I tried, it said that it couldn't find any files.

It isn’t meant to find files, it’s meant to find the partition data...

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

19 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

It isn’t meant to find files, it’s meant to find the partition data...

Well I need my files not partition data.

If you rebuild the partition data, all your files will be there...no need for recovery when they exhist as they have always exhisted...anyways. Good luck. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

Hello, 

if you already wrote something on the existing data, it is difficult to recover it. We would like to recommend you to get in contact with a data recovery service of your preference to recover the data. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello, 

if you already wrote something on the existing data, it is difficult to recover it. We would like to recommend you to get in contact with a data recovery service of your preference to recover the data. 

I did not write anything on the data.