First Time Build - Content Creation

sorlen008

Hey guys, I'm wanting to build a new PC for video editing.

I'm mostly editing 4K videos. Rendering is slow at the moment (premiere pro) and when I switch to Adobe After Effect and play around with motion tracking, it get extremely slow.

PC freeze when I render sometimes which I think because overheating. it doesn't freeze when I turn off 1 or 2 cores.

I did a quick research, it looks like Threadripper 2950X is the right upgrade with ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME AMD Ryzen Threadripper.

I would like to upgrade my current build I'm having.

Should I also go liquid cooling?

I'm not up to date with whats new in the market or maybe I should wait for something new.

Budget is not an issue but not overkill

Please advise

Thank you

Currently build:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire air cooler

1080 TI

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB)

Samsung 960 PRO Series

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

You will be overpaying for a relativly poor board

Currently MSI MEG Creation X399 is the best board.

Good Noctua TR4 cooler is good enough. You do not neccesarly need to get liquid cooling.

You could also just get the 1950x which is quite cheap atm, though no guarantee that the Ram will run at its rated speed

8 hours ago, sorlen008 said:

The 1920X is the best value X399 CPU for the moment, shouldn't really need the upgrade though, if you wanted an upgrade like that maybe hold out for Ryzen 3000 sometime next year.

Premiere likes intel's iGPU now, Threadripper would make a lot of sense if you switched to Vegas to save money for whatever reason, unless you also do other things like lots of 7-zip or handbrake, or rendering a video while doing handbrake.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Honestly the 1080Ti is a bad buy for content creation. Premiere and especially AE really don't use it that much. Money would've been better spent on a quicker CPU like the 1700X, 1800X or 2700X. The low stock clock speed of the 1700 is its main problem. Just overclock that bad boy.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro