Storinator style NAS build

Swilky

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of making a Storinator style NAS build.

The build will 

• Fit inside standard rack
  • Be 5ru high
  • Have enough room for 8 drives + 2 SSD's (OS + cache)
  • Have 6  x 120mm fans (RGB for better performance)
  • House a standard ATX motherboard

Build log to follow.

HArd drive rack (1).jpg

I have cut the front, back and sides to size on the table saw and made the fan holes in the front panel using a trim router and a circle cutting jig.

20181017_121035.thumb.jpg.b375b8050e6566e63b938377a78e3aa8.jpg

I then glued and screwed the front panel to the sides, I was going to use dowels as seen on the left side but I decided screws would be easier.

20181017_133322.thumb.jpg.bcb25481a116b83e545f6c388c3d5d02.jpg

Before I glue and screw the back panel on I need to make all the cutouts for the PSU, IO shield and PCI slots.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

very nice build. How are you going to mount the drives (to prevent movement) and are you using a backplane or will you connect everything with cables?
also how will you deal with fire safety and electro magnetic shielding?

hoping to see updates soon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 2:51 AM, SimssmiS said:

Hey,

very nice build. How are you going to mount the drives (to prevent movement) and are you using a backplane or will you connect everything with cables?
also how will you deal with fire safety and electro magnetic shielding?

hoping to see updates soon.

I am not sure how I am going to stop the drives from moving around, maybe some kind of flat metal spring to put a small amount of pressure on the hard drive to stop it from moving around, ill cross the bridge when I come to it. I have no plans to use a back plane; just cables. I think the lightly hood of a fire is very remote so I am not really worried about making it fire safe. I was thinking of using conductive paint on the inside of the case for some electromagnetic shielding, the case is going to sit in a metal server rack which will also provide some protection.

I have not had a chance to work on the case in almost four weeks because I have two brand new baby girls which has kept me very busy!

I used the dimensions from the protocase website (link) to draw a cutting template in open scad for the PSU, IO Shield and PCI slots in the rear panel.

Using Inkscape I printed the cutting template on a piece of A3 paper at 1:1 scale.

I just need to tape down the cutting template and get to cutting with my jig saw.

20181112_135248 (1).jpg

• 11 months later...

This is a cool project, i might do this myself one day. Im just curious how the end result is, do you have any pictures? ?

To make my own "backplane" i think i will use these sata adapters (link below), so that the disks can be hot-swappable.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33017978181.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.20fb1cd9tstxrd&algo_pvid=e4e800c4-48c0-4a92-af99-e534b9ca4e55&algo_expid=e4e800c4-48c0-4a92-af99-e534b9ca4e55-29&btsid=ee04c8d8-e5aa-4bbd-a49d-ac9c6bc60a84&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_52

61W+bJwylHL._SX425_.jpg