Play a PowerPoint/Slideshow on a tv without laptop?

mkN1G
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

If animations aren't important you could save the presentation as a jpg which will export each slide as a separate image.  At that point, you could setup a slideshow using the built-in TV functions I would think, or if not, something like a raspberry Pi would handle it for very cheap.  You could also use a screen recorder like OBS to capture walking through the presentation if animations are important, and then just play that video back on a loop in the same way.  You can also directly export the presentation as a video but I'm not sure how well that works.

Hey guys,

I am working at a High school located in Sweden and we have tv's in our windows pointed out towards the public (the school is located very central) and we're using our 2 laptops for the 2 tvs we have to play a powerpoint as a commercial for the school. However, we bought 2 new LUXOR smart tv. My question is, is there anyway possible to play this slideshow on the tv without a laptop connected to the tv? If so, how can I do that?

I would be very grateful for help, thank you!

Most smart TVs will play images on a slide show, export PowerPoint as single images per page, put them on a USB drive and plug in to the TV. Should work great. 

If animations aren't important you could save the presentation as a jpg which will export each slide as a separate image.  At that point, you could setup a slideshow using the built-in TV functions I would think, or if not, something like a raspberry Pi would handle it for very cheap.  You could also use a screen recorder like OBS to capture walking through the presentation if animations are important, and then just play that video back on a loop in the same way.  You can also directly export the presentation as a video but I'm not sure how well that works.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Most smart TVs will play images on a slide show, export PowerPoint as single images per page, put them on a USB drive and plug in to the TV. Should work great. 

Will it be able to repeat itself? Because as it is now it's running 24/7 which we want it to.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you talking about the animations when it's changing picture? Raspberry pi might be an alternative. Using a screen recorder sounds like too much work for something so simple imo.

2 minutes ago, MarkusH said:

Are you talking about the animations when it's changing picture? Raspberry pi might be an alternative. Using a screen recorder sounds like too much work for something so simple imo.

Any animations - either objects on the slide or transitions between them.  As for a screen recorder, it's pretty simple, but you could try using the built in export as video feature and see if that works first.  I suspect that you'll have to (or at least want to) setup everything on automated timings if you go that route.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

37 minutes ago, MarkusH said:

Will it be able to repeat itself? Because as it is now it's running 24/7 which we want it to.

AFAIK its like that by default. But integrated features rarely have greater control over timings and stuff like that. I think its 15s per image in slide show (based on LG Blu-Ray player I've used that feature on). Just set off any powersaving features there might be.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Any animations - either objects on the slide or transitions between them.  As for a screen recorder, it's pretty simple, but you could try using the built in export as video feature and see if that works first.  I suspect that you'll have to (or at least want to) setup everything on automated timings if you go that route.

The transitions between the pictures are no big deal, it's just a bonus if that works. There are no animations on the pictures, only pictures and text. In worst case I guess I'll have to try the screen recorder option. Thanks for your help, much appreciated! :)

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

AFAIK its like that by default. But integrated features rarely have greater control over timings and stuff like that. I think its 15s per image in slide show (based on LG Blu-Ray player I've used that feature on). Just set off any powersaving features there might be.

If there's no way of changing the timer on the images it's no problem, as long as they are 15s as default, that's fine. Tomorrow wednesday, I'll maybe start trying these options out, and I'll come back to this thread wether I get it started or not. Thank you as well for the reply :)

Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that I got this to work! I used the method that @Ryan_Vickers mentioned. I exported the slides to separate jpeg files and put them on a USB and plugged it in to the tv and used the built-in functions to play it as a slideshow and set the timer to 15s, and now it's looping as I want it to! Thank you all for taking your time to help me out. This forum never lets you down! :)

Edit: @FlappyBoobs mentioned it as well, thank you!