Would Visual Studio be good for C programming?

MrMiniBeast

^The title says it all...

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I personally don't use Visual Studio for C, but it does have great support for C++...

So it probably would be a good place to start so you are familiar with it by the time you move on to learning C++...

I would think so, since it is good for C++.

If you are looking for alternative choices, I heard Eclipse CDT is also good (and it is free).

Well you could use VS for a lot of C code, but I would not recommend it.  While VS has excellent support imo for C++, the only way to compile C code is basically to create a C++ project.  This might get you confused about learning C if you are allowed to do some things that C++ allows that C doesn't.  If you plan to use ANSI C, then definitely don't (ie. things like // are not allowed).

Personally I would recommend Eclipse or just gcc.

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

For basic learning Visual Studio should be fine for C but it only just became compatible with the C99 standard (though not entirely, according to this some functions are still missing: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2013/07/19/c99-library-support-in-visual-studio-2013.aspx) so it's rather behind if you want to learn the language in depth.

Otherwise get GCC (there are Windows versions) and use something like Notepad++ to write your code (you can also set up Notepad++ to compile it for you).

CPU : 4770K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.28V + Noctua NH-D14 | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : 8GB Kingston 1600 MHz "LoVo"

GPU : MSI Radeon HD 7950 TF III @ 1.1 GHz core and 1.575 GHz memory | PSU : XFX 650W "Core Edition" | Case : Coolermaster HAF 922

I use VS express for learning C

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Well I'm not going to get too advanced in C, I'm only using it as a stepping stone before learning C++. So I think it will work, since it does sdo C++

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

You can do alot with a decent text editor that has syntax highlighting etc and a batch file to compile with. If you just want to get started with C you may find this easier than trying to work out how to use visual studio as well as learning C. For a windows text editor I would recommend notepad++.

My answer will be NO. You should start it with Turbo C 3.0 and then Visual Studio when you move to C++