I have created a new partion (40GB) How to install an os onto it?

I created a partion/volume, not really sure of a 40gb size, i want to put ubunto 16.0.04 onto but how do i do it?

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

I can't select my F drive on unetbootin, Help!

Pc value: 9999999$. Alienware 15 r2: 16GB Ram ddr3, Intel Core i-7 4110HQ @ 3.5ghz, gtx 970m, 1 TB HDD *for games*, 120GB SSD *for windows*.

fastest boot time, 6.5 seconds

i think you just have to leave free space not bound to a partition and create one in ubuntu

13 hours ago, linusfanboi_skrub1 said:

I can't select my F drive on unetbootin, Help!

Unetbootin is for making a bootable USB drive. Grab a USB and put Ubuntu on that, then boot off it. You'll need to set boot priority in the BIOS to the USB stick or enter the boot menu when the computer starts (i dont think all have this option, you might just have to set priority).  If you're using a Mac hold the option key on boot.

Also keep in mind if you have Windows (or are using a mac) installed in UEFI mode you'll need to make sure the USB disk has the GPT partition scheme or the machine won't see it as bootable.

Edit: we need more info

Edited by peacefulpolarbear