LG V10 replacement, up to 700€

Spood

Hello everyone !

I am currently looking for a new smartphone to replace my LG V10. There are a few models that catched my eye, and I can't quite make my choice. Also I may be unaware of other brands/models, font hesitate to give advices.

My budget will be around 700€, but that would only be for the best phone of the year honestly. Closer to 600€ is better. (I live in France).

Here are the phones that make me hesitate :

-Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus (650€)

-LG V30 (550€)

-Huawei P20 Pro (could be obtained around 700€ for now)

-Huawei Mate 10 (450€ today)

-OnePlus 6 (havent checked its size, 450€)

I was also wondering if it would be worth it to wait for the release of newer models this summer, mainly the LG V40 or the Oppo Find X. But they will be pretty expensive at the start so I doubt I'll be able to afford them. And I will definitely not be able to wait for a Galaxy S10, or afford a Note 9.

Things that matter to me :

-screen size. I like big screens, and preferably wide ones. The reason why I won't consider the regular S9 is because the screen is just tall but not wide enough, that combined with the curved sides means not comfortable for watching videos and using it in general (tried it, didnt enjoy it).

-screen quality. 1080p or 1440p are both fine if the colors and display are beautiful. Higher resolution is better but if it means a huge drop in battery life, then it's not worth it.

-audio quality. The main reason I stayed with LG for so long and why the V30 is for now my prefered opion despite the known screen issues. This is going to be the main selling point as I listen to music a lot. So I want to know what are the jack dongles worth on the Huawei phones. I use Beyerdynamics Custom Studio 80 Ohm headphones, and like loud and bassy music, so if I'd need an external Amp to make it work, I can remove them from my list. The LG V10 has no problem driving it. I don't know how Samsung phones and Huawei dongles would handle it.

-battery life. I want to be able to stay a whole day without charging and without having to downgrade the screen quality. My day usualy consists of 3 hours of web browsing, a good hour of video watching, maybe half an hour of games and the regular texting through Discord and Messenger (I probably spend a total of 2 hours of SoT in Discord). My LG V10 used to be able to hold that, but now the battery starts to unload pretty fast. Idealy I should be able to do all of that and still have a bit of battery left.

-Software updates. The main downside of LG phones is that by the time you get an android update you're almost already behind again. I am going to keep the phone for at least two years, so I'd like to at least get the next Android version and not be stuck at Oreo.

-While I don't take a lot of photos or videos, I'd still like a decent camera. The LG V10 makes photos look like oil paintings when you zoom in, which is far from the best. But the overall quality is good enough for me.

Any feedback or advice is welcome. Especialy feedback regarding the jack dongles, and how all those phones handle 80Ohm headphones (DT770, Custom Studio...).

I also heard of Xiaomi, but never saw much of their products. Do what are they worth ?

Also in case it wasnt obvious : no iPhones. They have everything I dont like : big bezels, rather small screens, too expensive, no audio jack anymore, meh battery life. And I am not going back to Apple now that I tried Android.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long (but hopefuly detailed) post.

I have the LG G6 and my friend owns a V20 (spare phone) and a V30 which I find to be a very impressive phone for the price. So, my vote would be for the V30/V30+...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I vote OnePlus 6 because the stock android flowless camera (for the price) and amazing speed + I think the it is the most 'futureproof' from your list (it's not going to slow down as the others). And yeah, Xiaomi is good company but this year the OnePlus 6 beats the Xiaomi Mi8. If u would ask is last year, I would recommend the Xiaomi Mi6 overall.

PC: i7 6700K@4GHz, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW, HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz (2×8), ASUS B150-PLUS, BQ! Pure Rock cpu cooler, 4x blue LED fan (3x Sharkoon, 1x Corsair), WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM, Sharkoon DG7000 case

GearSamsung U28E570D 4K@60Hz, LG LED 22M35 1080p@60Hz, HAMA uRage Cyberboard keyboard, HAMA uRage Reaper NX mouse, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Logitech Z623 2.1 @200W RMS, Sades Gaming mousepad, Vertagear SL2000 racing chair (black/white)