Best networking solution for under $200

Charix

Hi there, for a while now, we have been using our ISP supplied modem/router combo which is absolute garbage and I'm looking for a new solution. My ISP is Comcast and we have a 400Mbsp plan. My house is about 3000 sqft with two floors, and unfortunately our router is in the corner of the house, which doesn't make for a great WiFi connection. It would be nice to have Ethernet on the other side of the house, and I've heard of some solutions for that (powerline, moca) but I know that they can be problematic as well. I also know about mesh networking, but I looked into some options with that and they seem super expensive.

Ok, I know that was a lot of stuff (I ramble on a lot) but basically it would be nice to have good wifi coverage throughout the house for under $300, and if that's not possible, at least a solution to get Ethernet to the other side of the house, like powerline or moca (I've heard mixed things about them, I'm just not sure if those solutions are any good at all). 

Also, sorry if I didn't give enough information, I'll try to answer any questions you may have to help out.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Either a really long Ethernet cable and a switch, PowerLine adapters, or range extenders will work.

Why not Mesh wifi? 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Why not Mesh wifi? 

Honestly, I don't know what that is.

Never even heard of it until OP mentioned it. I decided I would post suggestions that I'm more informed on.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Never even heard of it until OP mentioned it. I decided I would post suggestions that I'm more informed on.

If you want to watch the LTT video here it is. If want me to talk about mesh Wi-Fi, it is a system where you have multiple routers that talk to each-other and create an integrated home Wi-Fi network that does not require you to switch routers as you move throughout the house, since that is handled in the background, it is also faster than repeaters, and overall a much more elegant network solution. Though, it may cost a bit more... but usually it's worth it. Or if you want it plain and simple, mesh Wi-fi is a much more advanced and refined Wi-Fi repeater network. 

Edited by Wh0_Am_1
Additional data added, and some major grammatical errors corrected.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

41 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Never even heard of it until OP mentioned it.

Essentially a repeater but with a dedicated backhaul radio on a different frequency.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

http://a.co/goJglct

Fairly cheap, just takes a little bit to configure them.

I'm running a powerline adapter and it works great. My internet comes in at a corner of my house in the basement but there's no RJ11/phoneline jack - long story short I connected a powerline adapter and terminated the other end upstairs > vonage > wireless handset base. Done.

Old house it used to be vonage > rj11 jack - so whole house was wired.

Anywho whole point is the powerline adapter works great for internet sharing. You won't see gigabit speeds but 400-500mbp/s no problem.