itx system unsure about psu

Nicnac

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about building an itx system for some time now.

Thing is, I want it really small, so I need a pico psu to go along with it. The other thing is everything above 150W gets pretty expensive.

Now, Ideally I would like to use an i5 8400 and a 1050 ti. That adds up to a tdp of 140W. I know this is not representative of actual Wattage of components but already having only 10W of headroom seems pretty tight. I do not plan on using a lot of other components, only an m.2 ssd and maybe a wifi adaptor at some point.

Now I'm not only concerned about the psu but also about the ac adaptor. will a system with a pico psu and an ac adapter rated for 140W burn the house down? 

What are my options except for getting a larger psu?

Will undervolting the cpu help maybe? how much will this affect gaming?

So many questions, i know...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Intel's power estimate is for the cpu essentially at idle. Check out https://www.techspot.com/review/1502-intel-core-i5-8400/page4.html. At load an i5-8400 can draw as much as 143W.

I think the question that needs to be answered first is why does the system have to be so small that only a pico psu will do?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, brob said:

Intel's power estimate is for the cpu essentially at idle. Check out https://www.techspot.com/review/1502-intel-core-i5-8400/page4.html. At load an i5-8400 can draw as much as 143W.

I think the question that needs to be answered first is why does the system have to be so small that only a pico psu will do?

thx for your response!

That is confusing, I read that article as well but on other sites they say that 65W is pretty much the maximum it would draw under load.

Reason i want to keep it as small as possible is I want to mount it behind my monitor on a vesa mount.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

The graph is a representation of actual data.

Amazon does list a 240W picoATX as well as a 240W power adapter.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.