Low profile CPU fan

Mbrown278

Hi all,

I currently have a Asrock deskmini 100 with an i7 7700k and a standard intel box fan which has a height of approx 53mm.

I am interested in getting a m.2 exp gdc eGPU dock, but would quite like to make a custom case so I only have to expand the deskmini by a couple of cm's sideways. To help with this if I can find a lower profile fan that can cope with 95w CPU then every cm slimmer the fan is, that will be a cm I can reduce the width by. I want to keep the deskmini as close to its current size for portability.

The only thing is I'm struggling to find a low profile fan that is lga 1151 and can cope with 95w. Does anyone know of any?

Many thanks,

Mark

What are your temperatures like currently? I know 7700Ks don't handle well on stock coolers.

While it's not advertised to, the Noctua NH-L9i can cope with the 95W TDP in some situations. I would heavily consider delidding the CPU though, as it will usually yield a good improvement in temperatures. You could also try a Dynatron K129 with a fan strapped on it, but I don't know if there would be interference as the DeskMini 110 is a special case/motherboard combo and it would probably have to be loud to cool well.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

38 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

What are your temperatures like currently? I know 7700Ks don't handle well on stock coolers.

While it's not advertised to, the Noctua NH-L9i can cope with the 95W TDP in some situations. I would heavily consider delidding the CPU though, as it will usually yield a good improvement in temperatures. You could also try a Dynatron K129 with a fan strapped on it, but I don't know if there would be interference as the DeskMini 110 is a special case/motherboard combo and it would probably have to be loud to cool well.

I currently run it at about 75c under load, and high 60’s doing basic tasks, which I guess isn’t too bad with a stock cooler. Also i haven’t overclocked it and am currently happy with the performance so probably won’t now so I wonder what the tdp values are standard/overclocked

4 minutes ago, Mbrown278 said:

I currently run it at about 75c under load, and high 60’s doing basic tasks, which I guess isn’t too bad with a stock cooler. Also i haven’t overclocked it and am currently happy with the performance so probably won’t now so I wonder what the tdp values are standard/overclocked

For a stock cooler, that isn't too bad. I'd try a Noctua NH-L9i and see how it works. I think it should handle well enough in your situation.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

10 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

For a stock cooler, that isn't too bad. I'd try a Noctua NH-L9i and see how it works. I think it should handle well enough in your situation.

Brilliant I’ll give it a go, thank you :)

I had a look at that case and not only does it have quite low clearance but the side to side clearance seems pretty bad too. The CPU is almost right up against the edge of the case. I'm not sure the NH-L9i will fit.

17 hours ago, geo3 said:

I had a look at that case and not only does it have quite low clearance but the side to side clearance seems pretty bad too. The CPU is almost right up against the edge of the case. I'm not sure the NH-L9i will fit.

Luckily I managed to find a video of someone else installing and it somehow fitted so I’ve given it a go, arrived today, installed and so far it seems much quieter and runs the cpu at about 5 degrees less, not a massive gain but I’m happy and have got a tiny bit more space if I do build a custom case ??