Is it worth upgrading to a 120 GB SSD on my laptop?

DeadlyTitan

So recently the 500 GB HDD in my laptop died so i was looking to replace it and then i came across the SSD's available for same price but much much lower capacity.

This is a 4 year old laptop with an i3-3217U (I guess)  with 2 x 4 GB (8 GB)  DDR3 ram, that i bought when i entered the university back then. Nowadays i just use it to read news/articles and watch some videos and maybe a quick editing of work related files if really needed and not much else. So do you think its worth going to a 120 GB SSD over 500 GB HDD? i dont want to spend too much on this as i already have my i7 8700k gaming rig with GTX 1080 Ti and 2 x 1 TB SSD's.

So yea my work on it is very minimal and limited. The thing is i am a data hog and i tend to gather soo much data over time that i have over 12 TB drives full of data. just backed up. My current gaming rig have around 6 TB Storage and 4 TB offline backup. I am a hobby game modder so there is a lot of data that i often back up and i dont usually uninstall games once installed cause i'll be working on modding multiple games and just leave them there.

The thing is i feel like if i go for the 120 GB SSD i might regret the lack of storage knowing me, but then the thought of having fast boot times and faster accessing times is very enticing.  This question might sound too obvious but am only asking to help clear my mind.

One more thing, i have a few old games that i often play with my friends on lan that refuses to boot when on SSD so that's also a reason for backtracking. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

Depending on the laptop you may be able to fit a hard drive caddy where the disk drive (if you have one) goes. This means you could have a 1Tb HDD in one bay and even a 60Gb SSD in the other giving you the best of both worlds.

HDD caddy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-5mm-SATA-2nd-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-SSD-Caddy-For-Apple-Macbook-Pro-iMac-Mac-Mini/132502728747?epid=25014804039&hash=item1ed9c7302b:g:fxYAAOSwB2NazGwO

Have a nice day:)

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w

For responsiveness alone I'd say SSD, but if capacity is a concern a 240-256 GB class SSD isn't much more than a 120-128 GB class one. Price-per-capacity should get a bit better in that region.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This laptop wouldn't happen to have a M.2 slot would it? Not sure if it's too old

If yes, Western Digital has a WD Blue M.2 250 GB for like 70-80 on Amazon. If you're just doing light work/reading on it, 250 should be more than adequate. 

https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-250GB-SSD-WDS250G1B0B/dp/B01LY154MY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1528909171&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=western+digital+black+m.2

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

120GB isn't gonna last too long.

I would look for a Crucial MX500 in the 256Gb flavor.

Hmm, now that i think about it, with just 120 Gb i might end up killing that SSD faster than i can imagine with my constant read/writes. Well i dont really want to spend over $50 on this cause i have some other things on my wish list. This was just an unforeseen event 

2 minutes ago, Ic3d said:

Depending on the laptop you may be able to fit a hard drive caddy where the disk drive (if you have one) goes. This means you could have a 1Tb HDD in one bay and even a 60Gb SSD in the other giving you the best of both worlds.

HDD caddy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-5mm-SATA-2nd-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-SSD-Caddy-For-Apple-Macbook-Pro-iMac-Mac-Mini/132502728747?epid=25014804039&hash=item1ed9c7302b:g:fxYAAOSwB2NazGwO

Hmm, nice idea, i never thought about that. but then again i do not want to spend more than $50 on this thing for now. 

1 minute ago, Tsar_Maple said:

This laptop wouldn't happen to have a M.2 slot would it? Not sure if it's too old

If yes, Western Digital has a WD Black M.2 256 GB for like 70-80 on Amazon. If you're just doing light work/reading on it, 256 should be more than adequate. 

naa its just a cheap $350 laptop that i bought for my university back then, it does not come with that stuff ^^. 

5 minutes ago, porina said:

For responsiveness alone I'd say SSD, but if capacity is a concern a 240-256 GB class SSD isn't much more than a 120-128 GB class one. Price-per-capacity should get a bit better in that region.

Ermm not exactly right for me, 240/256 GB SSD's costs twice as much as 120 GB SSD's here. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

I only have a 120GB ssd in my laptop, I'm always removing files or programs to make enough space to use it, if you go for an ssd, go for at least 250GB.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!