AVR takes long time to connect to HDMI

deathray44

The model of the AVR in question is a Yamaha HTR-3063. It's likely dying slowly, but maybe there is still hope.

I've had it for about 10 years probably now, but in the last 2 years, it has had a hell of a time connecting, and staying connected to HDMI devices. It can sometimes take up to an hour during which time the display on the LED panel will flash in and out the 5 attached speakers, the screen will tear and turn off and back on again repeatedly, and the sound will cut in and out. Doesn't matter if it's an Xbox 360, Xbox one, DVD player, Roku, it will do this.

However, once it connects, (or warms up as he calls it), it will run just fine for hours. Doesn't happen when using the radio stereo portion of it, works just fine there.

The guy using the machine had connected 2 speakers to each port on the back for a few months, which I of course STRONGLY urged him not to do, but eventually, he disconnected the other speakers, and so I suspect that a capicator has blown or is leaking or who even knows what at this point.

I've gone ahead and downloaded the schematics in the service manual online, and when I get time I'd like to try putting a multimeter to it to see if there are any connections that aren't reading the proper voltages, but if it's related to the actual chips, then I am basically screwed without a new donor board, which will likely probably be pretty difficult to obtain. If it's just a simple part like a transistor or capacitor, I'll try to replace it.

Praying that I won't have to bin it, but if I really need to I will.
If anyone has input or advice let me know.
As an aside based on what I have described how likely would it be to take anything to the grave with it that are currently connected (tv, Roku etc), and possible fire risks?

Thank you for your time.