Help me figure out what cooler i need

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

If you have a blower-style graphics card, the card will actually lower the temperatures in your case because it's basically a high-priced exhaust fan. If you have an open-sided cooler on your GPU, GPU exhaust will be vented into the case, which will heat things up and indirectly affect CPU temperature. In most cases, it's not going to have a noticeable effect. If you're running dual 390X's overclocked into next year, it'll get toasty. Ventilation is the key. Coolers can only bring temperatures down to ambient. If room temperature is 25C but the temperature inside your case is 40C, your CPU is going to be running about 15C hotter than it otherwise would. Also, something is probably on fire.

To fix the problem of excess heat dumped into the case, you need ventilation. Good airflow in to bring cooler, room temperature air into the case, and good airflow out to get the hot exhaust out of there. Overall airflow is much more important to keeping the GPU's effect on your system temperatures to a minimum. You could have an NH-D15 loaded in there cranking at full power, but if it's pulling 40C air through the fins, there is absolutely no way it's going to fall below 40C.

Does the cpu cooler effectiveness matter depending on what your graphics card is, or am i able to get away with a lower end cooler no matter what other parts i have. Basically does the heat of the cpu have the same temps with a graphics card(beefier components) as it does without. cuz im gonna be putting an i5-8600k in my pc, and i plan on adding a high end gpu when new ones come out. I just dont know if this will affect the temps of the cpu. I may or may not do overclocking, but i dont wanna spend the big bucks. Pls and thx

gpu does not affect cpu temperature directly.  Only way it does is by increasing internal air temperature of the case

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

If you have a blower-style graphics card, the card will actually lower the temperatures in your case because it's basically a high-priced exhaust fan. If you have an open-sided cooler on your GPU, GPU exhaust will be vented into the case, which will heat things up and indirectly affect CPU temperature. In most cases, it's not going to have a noticeable effect. If you're running dual 390X's overclocked into next year, it'll get toasty. Ventilation is the key. Coolers can only bring temperatures down to ambient. If room temperature is 25C but the temperature inside your case is 40C, your CPU is going to be running about 15C hotter than it otherwise would. Also, something is probably on fire.

To fix the problem of excess heat dumped into the case, you need ventilation. Good airflow in to bring cooler, room temperature air into the case, and good airflow out to get the hot exhaust out of there. Overall airflow is much more important to keeping the GPU's effect on your system temperatures to a minimum. You could have an NH-D15 loaded in there cranking at full power, but if it's pulling 40C air through the fins, there is absolutely no way it's going to fall below 40C.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just be aware that the 8600k doesn't have a box cooler in case you weren't already.

Cheers! :D