Good Microphone for >$50

Hi, 

I'm currently shopping for a new headset. After trying a friends Audio Technica ATH-M40FS, I've decided I'll get that. The only problem with this, is that it doesn't have a microphone. I am currently considering getting either a ModMic or a standalone mic. I know the ModMic can be purchased for around $40, but I just wanted to see what people thought about that compared to a relatively cheap, standalone mic. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

SnowFLAKE is all you need for basic VoIP if you want a desktop unit - Zalman has a Clip-On lapel mic for around $10 if you don't want to dish out for a ModMic.

SnowFLAKE is all you need for basic VoIP if you want a desktop unit - Zalman has a Clip-On lapel mic for around $10 if you don't want to dish out for a ModMic.

Zalman mics are discontinued according to Newegg. You can still snatch one up at amazon in the US for $15 but they're probably going to run out soon. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836501002

Thanks for the replies, I've decided on getting a blue snowball and the aforementioned headphones. Much appreciated!

Zalman mics are discontinued according to Newegg. You can still snatch one up at amazon in the US for $15 but they're probably going to run out soon. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836501002

Discontinued on Newegg means they're no longer sold there, not that the product is out of production.

Discontinued on Newegg means they're no longer sold there, not that the product is out of production.

Really? I saw a reddit post saying the same thing when I googled it. Perhaps they were wrong. 

Really? I saw a reddit post saying the same thing when I googled it. Perhaps they were wrong. 

They might indeed be out of production, just letting you know that discontinued on Newegg doesn't mean the item is out of production.