How to fit the rear exhaust fan in Corsair 460x Case

Smokie
Go to solution Solved by G27Racer_188,

@Smokie You have mounted the fan wrong way. Right now it is pulling air in, turn it around so it faces the same way as the fans in the front, and than it will be exhausting the air out of the case.

As for the screws, you can use the ones that came with the fan. The thing is that fans don't have threads in them, so these screws are self-tapping, so they make their own thread as you screw them in. You will need to use some force to screw the fan in for the first time.

Hey so I have Corsair 460x RGB as my casing it only comes with three  stock Corsair RGB SP 120mm fans and no rear fan which is necessary for exhaust . So I bought a  Corsair RGB SP 120mm fan for my rear I have installed it but the screws do not keep the fan fixed in one place to the case and I can effortlessly slide the fan up and down. I used the screws which came with the fan to mount it how ever this is my first time using a case which doesn't have proper screw mounts / this shaped. So will I need to use different screws ( i.e the screw box which came with the casing ) or will the one that came with the fan will work???  and also the side I mounted it is bringing cool air from outside to inside or the opposite ? because I want  it to throw the hot air from inside to outside , I have attached pictures 

&  btw my motherboard is Asus strix z270F which comes with an I/O shroud would that cause any problems for the rear fan? 

my fan.jpg

my fan 2.jpg

@Smokie You have mounted the fan wrong way. Right now it is pulling air in, turn it around so it faces the same way as the fans in the front, and than it will be exhausting the air out of the case.

As for the screws, you can use the ones that came with the fan. The thing is that fans don't have threads in them, so these screws are self-tapping, so they make their own thread as you screw them in. You will need to use some force to screw the fan in for the first time.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

The fan is backwards, and you need to screw the screws all the way in my dude, that's why you can still slide it

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

The fan is backwards, and you need to screw the screws all the way in my dude, that's why you can still slide it

So when using force the screws will go all the way in straight and the cuts are to hold the screws? will they hold it tight? sorry this my first time using a casing with cuts my previous casing Corsair carbide 200R had screws mounts which was easy to screw them in , btw can a 140mm be installed in the rear of this case or it only supports 120mm fan in the rear? 

It looks like it only supports 120mm, check your manual to be sure though. And yes they take quite a bit of force to screw in. Like @G27Racer_188 said, they are self tapping, so they are actually cutting a thread in the fan housing when  you screw them in for the first time.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

18 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

I am confused you said to face it the same way the three fans in the front are faced  but it is mounted in the same direction as them I took a picture for you sorry that its somewhat blurry cause its night where I am so I had to turn on flash cause I didn't want to shut down the pc just to take a picture 

fan 3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Smokie said:

I am confused you said to face it the same way the three fans in the front are faced  but it is mounted in the same direction as them I took a picture for you sorry that its somewhat blurry cause its night where I am so I had to turn on flash cause I didn't want to shut down the pc just to take a picture 

fan 3.jpg

Well that's not in the same direction. The air exits the fan on the side where that cross is, so those front fans are now sucking air into the case, hence you want to mount the exhaust in the same direction (i.e. the cross pointing to the exhausting direction) such that it blows air out of the case.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 4/19/2018 at 2:11 PM, tikker said:

Well that's not in the same direction. The air exits the fan on the side where that cross is, so those front fans are now sucking air into the case, hence you want to mount the exhaust in the same direction (i.e. the cross pointing to the exhausting direction) such that it blows air out of the case.

Oh alright I get it now thanks yall for the help I am going to try it and will let yall know if I am successful with the screws :P 

On 4/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, Theguywhobea said:

It looks like it only supports 120mm, check your manual to be sure though. And yes they take quite a bit of force to screw in. Like @G27Racer_188 said, they are self tapping, so they are actually cutting a thread in the fan housing when  you screw them in for the first time.

It only supports 120mm in the rear just checked on the specs tab on newegg  just thought I should let you know 

120mm.png

5 minutes ago, Smokie said:

Oh alright I get it now thanks yall for the help I am going to try it and will let yall know if I am successful with the screws :P 

Just make sure sure the screw is going in straight and screw harder. Holding the fan still with the other hand will help but it's pretty easy to tighten once the thread gets started.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Just make sure sure the screw is going in straight and screw harder. Holding the fan still with the other hand will help but it's pretty easy to tighten once the thread gets started.

Will this screw driver work or I need a different one? 

screw driver.jpg

Just now, Smokie said:

Will this screw driver work or I need a different one? 

A phillips head will give you an easier time but a flathead should be fine as long as it fits.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:44 PM, G27Racer_188 said:

Alright so I went to my friend and he did it for me he tried putting one screw in  at first directly it didn't work so he took a screw driver and placed its tip inside the fan's screw place and started moving it like sharpening a pencil in all four holes after that all of the screws went in smoothly now the fan is steady and does not move like before ,  and I have also mounted the fan in the right direction now :D 

screws 2.jpg

screws.jpg