G-Sync doubts and suggestion

TweaknFreak

Hey folks. I've been a laptop user for the past couple of years due to my extensive travel. But now time has come to put together a rig that can handle games without issues at 1440p or maybe at 4K at dialed down settings. I'm not a hardcore gamer or such so I'm more than comfortable at 60hz gaming. So my questions are :

1. Should G-Sync benefit me at 60Hz, since I'll get a Nvidia GPU.
  2. What is the most pocket friendly monitor that I can find with 4K resolution and has G-Sync at 60hz(144Hz and all are not of my use as such)

I'll be buying stuff from India, so I have set my eyes on a LG 27UD68 monitor. This gives me headroom to upgrade to 4K down the line when it becomes mainstream and I don't want anything smaller than 27" for my monitor. Thanks for your time :)

If you can't hold 60fps in the stuff you will be playing with your new rig then G-Sync may be useful, but at a cost.

So it depends on the rig your building, and the games you will be playing. Then decide if it's worth the extra money.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

4 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

If you can't hold 60fps in the stuff you will be playing with your new rig then G-Sync may be useful, but at a cost.

So it depends on the rig your building, and the games you will be playing. Then decide if it's worth the extra money.

Thanks. But suppose my GPU is rendering frames at 100Hz or more but I use a 60Hz monitor. Will this cause an issue and will G-Sync benefit me in this?

Sorry if my questions are noobish, new to this pc building thing.

My planned config is 

CPU                           i5 8400
Heatsink                    Deepcool Gammaxx GT RGB
Mobo                         Asus H370 STRIX RoG
GPU                          Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition
RAM                         Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 2667MHz
Chasis                      Fractal Define Meshify C TG
PSU                         Corsair RM650-X 650W

I forgot to mention, I'll only play games on this rig and I play FPS, RPG, racing and Football simulation games only

2 hours ago, TweaknFreak said:

Thanks. But suppose my GPU is rendering frames at 100Hz or more but I use a 60Hz monitor. Will this cause an issue and will G-Sync benefit me in this?

Sorry if my questions are noobish, new to this pc building thing.

My planned config is 

I forgot to mention, I'll only play games on this rig and I play FPS, RPG, racing and Football simulation games only

G-Sync only operates when your framerate is below your monitor's refresh rate.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

G-Sync only operates when your framerate is below your monitor's refresh rate.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

So should I get a G-Sync monitor as I won't be having above 60Hz and GTX 1080 can pretty much handle above that in 1440p I think.

for 1440p with a 1080 you should not have a problem (maybe with that cpu for minfps??)  but only g-sync for 60hz i think that is throwing your money , but if your monitor is 24' inches I rather FullHD + 144hz than 1440p + 60 hz (just my opinion, i got 1440p 165hz gsync tn and a 1080p IPS same inches (23.6))

EDIT : high refresh rate is the best for fast games like FPS , racing and so on...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

for 1440p with a 1080 you should not have a problem (maybe with that cpu for minfps??)  but only g-sync for 60hz i think that is throwing your money , but if your monitor is 24' inches I rather FullHD + 144hz than 1440p + 60 hz (just my opinion, i got 1440p 165hz gsync tn and a 1080p IPS same inches (23.6))

EDIT : high refresh rate is the best for fast games like FPS , racing and so on...

I see. But there are no 144Hz monitors with IPS panels. All I see in TN panels. I think IPS might have a limitation in terms of refresh rate, maybe. I have seen TN and VA monitors, just can't get used to that. IPS is what I need and 60Hz should be fine for now. Maybe upgrade after a couple of years to higher refresh rates should be do able.

Heres what you want (and other brands exist), no need to change in a couple of years then but it's an expensive monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

36 minutes ago, TweaknFreak said:

I see. But there are no 144Hz monitors with IPS panels. All I see in TN panels. I think IPS might have a limitation in terms of refresh rate, maybe. I have seen TN and VA monitors, just can't get used to that. IPS is what I need and 60Hz should be fine for now. Maybe upgrade after a couple of years to higher refresh rates should be do able.

Of course there are 144Hz IPS monitors and no, IPS/VA doesn't have a limitation of FPS. It also has better colour and image quality than TN. Nobody should be going for old fashioned TN over IPS/VA panels anymore. As for Gsync, it's over priced and over hyped. You are fine with an Nvidia card and a high refresh rate non Gsync monitor. Just don't go buying one of the monitors that list for around $700. They're an absolute rip off. For half that price you can pick up a 144 Hz VA panel, or even a 4K panel for $200. You could actually get both for less than the price of one of the way too expensive monitors that are often listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DLT-MONEX-M27QHM-QHD-144-DP-2560-x-1440-VA-144Hz-6ms-FreeSync-27-Gaming-Monitor/222810036676?epid=19013689716&hash=item33e08359c4:g:JhEAAOSwe6ZaaZiW

6 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

Heres what you want (and other brands exist), no need to change in a couple of years then but it's an expensive monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM

Wow that monitor looks nice but is way over my budget. Thanks for replying though. Looks like G_Sync is way more expensive than I thought

5 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Of course there are 144Hz IPS monitors and no, IPS/VA doesn't have a limitation of FPS. It also has better colour and image quality than TN. Nobody should be going for old fashioned TN over IPS/VA panels anymore. As for Gsync, it's over priced and over hyped. You are fine with an Nvidia card and a high refresh rate non Gsync monitor. Just don't go buying one of the monitors that list for around $700. They're an absolute rip off. For half that price you can pick up a 144 Hz VA panel, or even a 4K panel for $200. You could actually get both for less than the price of one of the way too expensive monitors that are often listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DLT-MONEX-M27QHM-QHD-144-DP-2560-x-1440-VA-144Hz-6ms-FreeSync-27-Gaming-Monitor/222810036676?epid=19013689716&hash=item33e08359c4:g:JhEAAOSwe6ZaaZiW

that does look good but sadly it wont ship to my country or even if it does the price would be staggering. I'm limited to brands like LG, Asus, Samsung and some models of Benq to choose from. AOC and Acer are something I would like to avoid(Acer Predator series is good but not affordable for me)

4 hours ago, TweaknFreak said:

My planned config is 

No worries, I think there are other slightly cheaper options out there, it's basically the one the majority of enthusiasts 'want' to upgrade to and for good reason in gaming.

Re your proposed config, if I were you I would seriously consider dropping the GPU down to a 1070 and upping the CPU up to a fast i7 K version chip (if budget is a major thing). Or just upping the CPU and keeping the 1080 of course.

Operating System Win 10

that does look good but sadly it wont ship to my country or even if it does the price would be staggering. I'm limited to brands like LG, Asus, Samsung and some models of Benq to choose from

That's the US listing. There are also listings for other countries, you just need to find it on your local Ebay. If you have duty/import costs to your country though, mention to the seller that you want it labelled as a gift, so that you don't have to pay those. Many sellers are fine with that in my experience.

Just now, ShoshinUK said:

No worries, I think there are other slightly cheaper options out there, it's basically the one the majority of enthusiasts 'want' to upgrade to and for good reason in gaming.

Re your proposed config, if I were you I would seriously consider dropping the GPU down to a 1070 and upping the CPU up to a fast i7 K version chip (if budget is a major thing). Or just upping the CPU and keeping the 1080 of course.

Well the reason I chose 8400 is that i would only play games on it and nothing else. No productivity, video editing and other stuff. Do you think that i7 is necessary for a gaming rig?

3 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

That's the US listing. There are also listings for other countries, you just need to find it on your local Ebay. If you have duty/import costs to your country though, mention to the seller that you want it labelled as a gift, so that you don't have to pay those. Many sellers are fine with that in my experience.

I see. I'll have a look then.

Just now, TweaknFreak said:

I see. I'll have a look then.

There are other brands, such as Crossover, but they can cost a bit more. Such panels are available though in most countries.

10 minutes ago, TweaknFreak said:

Well the reason I chose 8400 is that i would only play games on it and nothing else. No productivity, video editing and other stuff. Do you think that i7 is necessary for a gaming rig?

Sorry I didn't check, I see the 8400 is 4Ghz and six cores - it will be a fine chip for now and next several years.

Operating System Win 10

1 hour ago, TweaknFreak said:

There are plenty (PG279Q, XB271HU, etc.) they are just expensive.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

There are plenty (PG279Q, XB271HU, etc.) they are just expensive.

Yeah that's the issue. I have to look for anything within USD 400. USD 450 is the maximum I can stretch

Just came across this

Samsung UHD monitor

This fits comfortably in my budget althought I think its missing that 3 axis adjustment thing. Any thoughts on this?

7 minutes ago, TweaknFreak said:

Just came across this

Samsung UHD monitor

This fits comfortably in my budget althought I think its missing that 3 axis adjustment thing. Any thoughts on this?

Nice screen I had the same sort of thing from Iiyama,

https://iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-b2888uhsu-b1/

It was a nice screen, my only issues were input lag and screen technology (TN) but if your casual gaming, frankly these things become very minor.

Operating System Win 10

1 minute ago, ShoshinUK said:

Nice screen I had the same sort of thing from Iiyama,

https://iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-b2888uhsu-b1/

It was a nice screen, my only issues were input lag and screen technology (TN) but if your casual gaming, frankly these things become very minor.

Damn I didn't notice it was TN panel. Now I'm back to the LG one. :|

6 minutes ago, Sylvanar said:

Check out these links: (bit more than your budget but doable I think)
Acer Predator XB271HU 27" - 39k (around 10k more than ur budget)

ASUS PG 279Q - 48k

Let me know what u end up choosing.

Actually the Predator XB241HU costs INR 50000 here( around USD 700). 

Still cheaper than the LG one at 44k INR. I am from India too.

Screenshot (43).png