Fan Speed Fluctuation

Hello, one day at what seems to be random, my case fans and CPU fan started to run a consistent amount higher than what I had set the fan curves to be. While in the bios, they still follow it perfectly, but while I run in windows they speed up, also while in windows they always accelerate to a point, then once they reach it drop, then accelerate again. I never changed anything from before and after they did this I've tried turning off and deleting all software that con control the fans but it still happens. I'm on the X370 platform with an msi gaming pro carbon, if that helps.

Also, if any of you know, is there a way to change my 1080 Ti strix oc's colours without an asus motherboard, or change my corsair sp and hd120s to any colour without a commander pro/lighting node pro

Are the fans based off of CPU temp? Also, first make sure that the cpu is not overheating and the fans are not spinning faster to cool the cpu.

It could definetly take longer for 30 min for someone to reply, be patient. This really isn't the place to ask.

For your fan speeds, I dont know why.

For your RGB question., your corsair fans likely use Corsair Link (software) to control the colors. You can also likely control their fan speed their too.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Chances are since you are running an 8 series intel chip... this is related to the same issue that plagues the 6 and 7 issue.

The problem is that these chips run on the philosophy that the longer a cpu sits in an idle state... the more energy efficient it is. That means that these CPU's are constantly jumping from an idle state to 100% boost, then back down. This activity causes the cpu temps to spike 20-30c at times. So depending on fan settings your fans will respond accordingly... even though this spikes happen so fast the fans can't ramp up and down enough to make a difference.

The solution for this is to increase either your fan ramp up time or hysteria time... this means that the fans won't instantly jump in speed to every little spike and will instead only ramp up when it is actually needed.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, AngryBeaver said:

Chances are since you are running an 8 series intel chip... this is related to the same issue that plagues the 6 and 7 issue.

The problem is that these chips run on the philosophy that the longer a cpu sits in an idle state... the more energy efficient it is. That means that these CPU's are constantly jumping from an idle state to 100% boost, then back down. This activity causes the cpu temps to spike 20-30c at times. So depending on fan settings your fans will respond accordingly... even though this spikes happen so fast the fans can't ramp up and down enough to make a difference.

The solution for this is to increase either your fan ramp up time or hysteria time... this means that the fans won't instantly jump in speed to every little spike and will instead only ramp up when it is actually needed.

I appreciate it thought, good to know thanks