Intel LAN Chip not Compatible with Server 2016

goodforyou19

Hi,

I am currently running into some issues with trying to install the LAN driver for a server I just built. The problem I am having is that the computer is built using desktop components:

Components:

CPU: i7 8700

Mobo: ASUS PRIME Z370-A

The Intel LAN controller is Intel I219V. Turns out, this controller doesn't support Windows Server 2016. 

I read online that it is possible to change the .inf file so it'll be compatible with Server 2016. I am not well versed in Server OS, and if I knew I was building a server to begin with, I wouldn't have bought desktop components. 

My question is: has anyone managed to change the .inf files for Intel LAN Controller drivers so it is compatible with Server 2016? Is this even worth trying? My only other way around this would be to get some sort of PCIe Ethernet adapter, and then run my ethernet cable through there. Does anyone know of any PCIe Ethernet Adapters which is compatible with Server 2016, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg (preferably under $50)

14 minutes ago, goodforyou19 said:

My question is: has anyone managed to change the .inf files for Intel LAN Controller drivers so it is compatible with Server 2016? Is this even worth trying? My only other way around this would be to get some sort of PCIe Ethernet adapter, and then run my ethernet cable through there. Does anyone know of any PCIe Ethernet Adapters which is compatible with Server 2016, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg (preferably under $50)

It can be done - Server 2012 had the same issue.

@Lurick and @leadeater can probably give you the model numbers for some cheap re-branded HP and Dell PCIe cards that you can find on eBay. I can never remember those model numbers.

I can tell you i had the same problem with my current server running on a x99-deluxe. The LAN controller was also only the start of my problems on it. Editing the .inf was easy. It's just copy/pasting some lines into the right place and it all worked fine.

My problems got serious with the SATA controller. I think it was because i had it running on RAID so if you have that, you're gonna have more problems. The drivers caused the entire PC to slowly slow down to a crawl and in the end a complete crash. I tried a dozen drivers from intel and in the end the driver from microsoft(default one) worked best but it had the same problem. I never was able to solve this and ended up buying a RAID card for it.... Just thought i'd give you a heads up in case ur using raid on the sata ports.

To fix the inf i followed this guide: https://foxdeploy.com/2013/09/12/hacking-an-intel-network-card-to-work-on-server-2012-r2/

I haven't had a single problem with the network connection since, im even using hyper-v with it. So no need to buy a network card for this. Just don't download anything from that page, it won't work for your controller. You'll have to edit the inf urself.

I have no signature