My review of Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare by KK Game Studios

ItsMitch

Disclosure

Game was purchased by me and for me, purely looking for some fun in a military shooter RPG. This review isn't paid by KK Game Studios. Game version I'm going to be reviewing is patch v0.121 and the game is currently in early access. You may view the game on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

Video

Here's a video of one of their newer features, sieging towns with your squad at multiple angles. Credits go to KK Game Studio. 

Specifications

i7 2600

16GB of DDR3 Ram

MSI GTX 770

128GB Drevo SSD.

Gameplay

Freedman Guerrilla Warfare takes on a Arma and a Mount & Blade style of gameplay, it's very focused on 1st person shooting and intense combat mechanics with a pretty good AI for the hostiles, The AI's do get a little confused when spawning in although but I'm sure that can be fixed for the future in a update. The combat for me is very intense and really fun, especially when you have a 7 man squad consisting of 5 guys, so a total of 35 guys all moving in different directions, doing different kind of tactics like for example, One team is a MG crew and another is a Grenadier team, the Grenadiers will deploy smoke to help you move up and cover advances while the MG team suppresses the hostile forces, their isn't a very good suppression system as of yet but if your hostiles take too much constant fire, they'll fall back to a better location, like a hill top or in a small town. Finally, this game utilizes a Morale system, so if your teams suffer massive losses to the enemies, they may fall back and you'll need to deploy more forces to assist in the fight. The Developers have set out a roadmap on what they'd like to do and they've also opened up for community suggestions as a Wishlist

Performance / optimisation

I'm going to be very frank, it's not that bad for an early access game, I've seen a lot worse games run like garbage but this game runs not bad, there is still a few performance issues when in larger scale combat when the FPS tanks to about 20 to 30 FPS for about 30 seconds, then it rebounds. I'm noticing that the gameplay isn't fully utilizing all of the cores and threads properly, just two of them so there's always room for improvement. The developers have said however they do aim to bring on more staff members to work on optimising the game while the others work on bigger core parts of the gameplay, like potentially adding vehicles, procedurally generated map, and so on.

Picture(s)

__uIHDuTPhrmbQAw0jyRNdam5Xrkeky-ki_Uds7c2-DYbYfecgffhWWIE0V-dTPC2TPjOIB_Iz42gF_TKQhjjBi3-VaxHD6rY1XPqU5_uxIdbDtn9KYyZI83ajQiyESlDPVAvQ1wOErbsSKvz4gU8Zi1iXot63rUbyIsSb2NI7CKV6gXiTSnaBqgPWL5ncDRedd3nBaiONALa6XUPcZeQMn791v7U46PIk7T1zziA6chp6DhhLVZW4oWLMMw2bWgIxn5h-F_9T15kexYf5f6NR9sNamS4S71sdigx2NnFcOUahEkxOEGUZ2ajBpdmcW3QOvqs2glnZPtPcn_Ls9n-ilIA3RidnwUgbVF-k-U0Jy1B2E9FN0XcGZ1QJbN5WISx1H6p19qMAF3P8PaZd8UrfbsI00CWTdHcMslPz8W9QXcivAGYGd30s7ZKnub3--SWu6KdC2N44GlWyjNy8WbEToEpzfYIMFLI2zWEse3wwz_I70wvohi863iDsfuylMKQaf8aw79Q5t1jcFUGbwqTuczn-_MIVW203tnXlB_SZPBLL9aBf3sThEUDmf_WXHH1sdtTVenMMFd0FibdTVAWZSIgcH9DNjSo0P76ic=w1327-h801-no

This is apart of your town defence, you must hold the town and defeat all hostile forces attempting to retake it from you. Hell, it can get really really hard as the AI's do deploy the same tactics as your forces, using smokes, grenades, cover, etc. 

Closing thoughts

I really love this game, it's fun, it has a few unique battlegrounds and large scale combat but the thing holding against it is the old UI and a few bugs with building placements and some AI's getting stuck in buildings, etc. I'm still willing to play this game however, it's apart of its unique aspect in my eyes, nothing like holding out against a far superior force in a small town as your strongest of men come to assist you in battle. I just really hope that the developers can crush the bugs like ants and move on with the development and is a highly recommended game. My rating so far is a 7.3/10