Portable (usb powered) monitor

Revamp

I just finished my build and need to order a portable monitor today in order to get it by Friday (amazon prime).

What are some good portable/usb powered monitors to travel with for gaming? I am traveling this weekend and won't have internet nor a TV and would ideally like a good portable monitor I can take with me and set up on the fly for gaming using an xbox controller.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

3 minutes ago, Revamp said:

I just finished my build and need to order a portable monitor today in order to get it by Friday (amazon prime).

What are some good portable/usb powered monitors to travel with for gaming? I am traveling this weekend and won't have internet nor a TV and would ideally like a good portable monitor I can take with me and set up on the fly for gaming using an xbox controller.

If it's USB only, that is it gets power and video from USB, then my understanding of it is that the CPU encodes the output of the GPU and sends it off to the USB monitor. So it may not be that great for gaming depending on the quality of the video and how much CPU overhead it incurs.

There are a handful (probably literally) of USB powered monitors that use HDMI as an input, but these are at least $200 last time I bothered to shop around.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's USB only, that is it gets power and video from USB, then my understanding of it is that the CPU encodes the output of the GPU and sends it off to the USB monitor. So it may not be that great for gaming depending on the quality of the video and how much CPU overhead it incurs.

There are a handful (probably literally) of USB powered monitors that use HDMI as an input, but these are at least $200 last time I bothered to shop around.

I completely forgot to include budget. Budget would be around 300$ or below preferably.

Yeah I've noticed some have HDMI and would prefer one with HDMI or even display port if that's a thing. I just noticed there is so many choices between Asus and GeChick and few other brands, but all seem relatively similar.

Just looking for recommendations preferably based on user experience. Want something slim that'll fit in my backpack with my computer and not be a burden to carry while providing decent potential as far as non-competitive gaming and general use like web browsing, web dev, etc work.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

6 minutes ago, Revamp said:

I completely forgot to include budget. Budget would be around 300$ or below preferably.

Yeah I've noticed some have HDMI and would prefer one with HDMI or even display port if that's a thing. I just noticed there is so many choices between Asus and GeChick and few other brands, but all seem relatively similar.

Just looking for recommendations preferably based on use experience. Want something slim that'll fit in my backpack with my computer and not be a burden to carry while providing decent potential as far as non-competitive gaming.

GeChic is probably the only one that's worth buying. They're good monitors, but they have a practical monopoly on the requirement of being a USB powered only display so they're not as good as what prices they command.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

GeChic is probably the only one that's worth buying. They're good monitors, but they have a practical monopoly on the requirement of being a USB powered only display so they're not as good as what prices they command.

So would you recommend a more standard wall plugin monitor then over the USB powered ones? My backpack is quite packed once I'm fully packed up, so I would need something very slim, or have extra means of attaching it to my backpack.

My current backpack is this CTA Console backpack https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Universal-Gaming-Backpack-PlayStation-XB360/dp/B01M2X4S9X

When I'm all packed up I have the following all inside

• My desktop (8700k/1080)
  • Power brick
  • Logitech g603 mouse
  • Logitech g613 full sized mechanical keyboard
  • Logitech k830 Mouse/keyboard combo
  • Xbox one controller
  • HyperX Cloud Flight headset.
  • 24x AA batteries for wireless peripherals in a single layer battery holder.
  • Spare HDMI, Display port, and power cables.

1 minute ago, Revamp said:

So would you recommend a more standard wall plugin monitor then over the USB powered ones? My backpack is quite packed once I'm fully packed up, so I would need something very slim, or have extra means of attaching it to my backpack.

If you can find one, yes. I used to use a slim 24" Vizio TV before I found the GeChic one. But you know, 24" is a bit too much. And finding a regular 15" monitor that isn't 5:4 seems to be a unicorn.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you can find one, yes. I used to use a slim 24" Vizio TV before I found the GeChic one. But you know, 24" is a bit too much. And finding a regular 15" monitor that isn't 5:4 seems to be a unicorn.

What GeChic one do you use if you don't mind?

1 minute ago, Revamp said:

overall do you like it and would you recommend it (disregarding price)?

I do. I think my unit has a defect in that the signal cuts out for a second like once a day, but that's about it.

But I can do things like a portable retro gaming kit:

hmed0piivhfoobsmr6q3.jpg&key=6c9364a1d62

25 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I do. I think my unit has a defect in that the signal cuts out for a second like once a day, but that's about it.

But I can do things like a portable retro gaming kit:

hmed0piivhfoobsmr6q3.jpg&key=6c9364a1d62

Appreciate the input, and neat little rig you got man! I think I will order one today.