Single display port mini to two display port monitors

KirbyTech

I am looking to go from my surface to two display port monitors. I know about the hub/brick thing but I would like to not spend $200 on something that I only need the display from.

Is there a cable/splitter that would work for me?

21 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

I am looking to go from my surface to two display port monitors. I know about the hub/brick thing but I would like to not spend $200 on something that I only need the display from.

Is there a cable/splitter that would work for me?

Yes.  The expensive MST Hub work for you.

The only others would be 'Replace the graphics card with one with more DisplayPorts' or 'Buy an additional GPU and use it's additional DisplayPorts'.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Your only option really is an MST hub, which is realistically about $60, not $200. 

https://www.primecables.ca/en/p-362091-cab-21972-2-port-displayport-12-to-displayport-multi-stream-transport-mst-hub-monoprice?from_pla=google&sku=373202&gclid=CjwKCAiAn5rUBRA3EiwAUCWb27WDT7E-4NazLcOEhFnDzS4OkoE-NUnWRFcweUiOFz61tJPyZ41-RBoCdfwQAvD_BwE#sku373202

Yeah something like this would get the job done.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Would probably go for this one from Startech to avoid having to adapt from Mini DP to DP. Not actually sure if it would even work with an adaptor as the Mini DP ones all seem to require USB (assuming for power?), while the full size DP ones don't.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Multi-Monitor-Splitter/dp/B00XXPYOJW/ref=sr_1_6?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1518837764&sr=8-6&keywords=mini%2Bdisplayport%2Bmst%2Bhub&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1

EDIT: Is OP even using Mini DP? I swear I read that he was using mini. It's 3.30am, maybe I should sleep soon, I'm forgetting how to read. 

EDIT 2: He is, it's in the title. Christ. 

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Would probably go for this one from Startech to avoid having to adapt from Mini DP to DP. Not actually sure if it would even work with an adaptor as the Mini DP ones all seem to require USB (assuming for power?), while the full size DP ones don't.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Multi-Monitor-Splitter/dp/B00XXPYOJW/ref=sr_1_6?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1518837764&sr=8-6&keywords=mini%2Bdisplayport%2Bmst%2Bhub&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1

EDIT: Is OP even using Mini DP? I swear I read that he was using mini. It's 3.30am, maybe I should sleep soon, I'm forgetting how to read. 

EDIT 2: He is, it's in the title. Christ. 

Would this be a good one? Price seems much better than that dock from MS

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073ZDVXDJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A8Y6CR0L74MKF&psc=1

2 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

Would this be a good one? Price seems much better than that dock from MS

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073ZDVXDJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A8Y6CR0L74MKF&psc=1

Yep, seems like that one will do. Surface compatibility is specifically listed in the description, so it should be good. 

Can you Daisey chain DP? I'm still on HDMI so I'm not 100% sure.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 2/18/2018 at 6:19 AM, Glenwing said:

Yes, but it's a feature that needs to be supported by the monitor.

Ahh, Makes sense 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240