Fresh Install, Laggy PC

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 with Steam, Chrome, and Garry's Mod installed on it (this issue arose before I installed the game) and everything runs terribly. 

Before the Fall update, the PC ran absolutely fine and I had no issues but since this fresh install I can't play a game, use Chrome, or watch video without it being slow and unresponsive. 

Even the animation for auto hiding the task bar freezes and from what I have seen, there is nothing wrong with the computer.

I have one of the higher end XPS 13 laptops which is on the same version of Windows and runs fine, so I am clueless as to what is wrong with my PC.  

Is this an issue that everyone is experiencing or is this  just a thing for me? Help ASAP would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

Before the Fall update,

so did it start after doing a clean install, or after doing a windows update?

4 minutes ago, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 1709 with Steam, Chrome, and Garry's Mod installed on it (this issue arose before I installed the game) and everything runs terribly. 

Before the Fall update, the PC ran absolutely fine and I had no issues but since this fresh install I can't play a game, use Chrome, or watch video without it being slow and unresponsive. 

Even the animation for auto hiding the task bar freezes and from what I have seen, there is nothing wrong with the computer.

I have one of the higher end XPS 13 laptops which is on the same version of Windows and runs fine, so I am clueless as to what is wrong with my PC.  

Is this an issue that everyone is experiencing or is this  just a thing for me? Help ASAP would be appreciated. 

When you installed Windows did you install drivers provided with motherboard and graphics card ?

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

Did you install all necessary drivers?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Specs for Manikyath if you're still wondering.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

8GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 RAM (dual channel)

EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

1TB WD Blue HDD

EVGA 450B PSU

Can someone point me to driver download locations (except for Nvidia drivers)?

Just now, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

1TB WD Blue HDD

EVGA 450B PSU

Just go to the manufacturer website. Usually you might need stuff for things like etherent controllers and sometimes audio controllers. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

15 minutes ago, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

1TB WD Blue HDD

EVGA 450B PSU

install nvidia drivers, and given you're running windows 10, let it process all windows updates, and it should find all necessary drivers to at least get you going good enough.

Installed Windows updates and drivers. Still the computer is being the same as it used to be. 

Anything else I should do? 

52 minutes ago, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

Installed Windows updates and drivers. Still the computer is being the same as it used to be. 

Anything else I should do? 

Install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website (if you haven't already) and perhaps update your BIOS and check that settings there haven't been put back to default. Also check for what's loading at startup. Windows 10 (assuming you're on 10) has a bad habit of running things like Edge in the background. You can also disable HPET and check that you have the right power plan set up.

As of now, I have installed my graphics card, CPU, motherboard and GPU drivers and nothing has changed. 

I do not believe I had ever changed any BIOS settings and nothing out of the ordinary (such as Edge) is running in the background. 

Is this the new Windows update that is causing this slow down? 

Would there be a noticeable difference if I did switch over to an SSD? Is using a hard drive the problem?

That is literally the last idea that I have. 

A quick side note, I have been told that Game DVR could be causing game freeze issues, I have looked or the option to turn it off outright (always meant to) and there is none in either the Settings app or the Xbox app. Any ideas?

19 hours ago, BraveLittleToaster990 said:

As of now, I have installed my graphics card, CPU, motherboard and GPU drivers and nothing has changed. 

I do not believe I had ever changed any BIOS settings and nothing out of the ordinary (such as Edge) is running in the background. 

Is this the new Windows update that is causing this slow down? 

Would there be a noticeable difference if I did switch over to an SSD? Is using a hard drive the problem?

That is literally the last idea that I have. 

Make sure you installed the chipset drivers from the AMD website, not the ones that come with the motherboard. Also check that your BIOS is up to date and do check that settings haven't changed. You may not have changed anything but the BIOS itself can revert settings if there are problems with booting or it's been flashed. As for an SSD, yes it will make a huge difference to boot and loading times and it's worth getting even a smallish, cheap one to put the OS on. Perhaps run HWinfo and CPU-z and post screenshots, as that can enable us to see better where the system is, in terms of voltages, speeds and so on.

Got SSD, installed ALL drivers and Windows 1607 to it, awaiting to see game performance but video is good.