Raspberry pi cluster web server

komar

I found a really good deal for a kit containing : -

Raspberry Pi 2
- Cluster hat
- 3 x Raspberry Pi Zero v. 1.3
- 1 x Raspberry Pi Zero v. 1.2
- 5 x SD cards (from the Photos they are Kingston, from the newer ones)
- power - 5V 2А

for 60 bucks used.

I already have P3 so gonna sell that P2 for 10-15 bucks and bring the price even lower.

My question is can I use that cluster as fault tolerance machine for hosting small site that I'm working on?

On 2/9/2018 at 4:31 AM, komar said:

My question is can I use that cluster as fault tolerance machine for hosting small site that I'm working on?

It's totally possible, the question is "should you actually do it"?

Is it like, a public site where people know that it's running on an RPi cluster and are going to be writing programs for it?

Is it a public site where interactivity is necessary?
Is it a private site just for learning?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

34 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Is it like, a public site where people know that it's running on an RPi cluster and are going to be writing programs for it?

Is it a public site where interactivity is necessary?
Is it a private site just for learning?

Nah not really.

I'm taking my baby steps in C and C++ this first year of university, so its more like a toy to mess with. The site, which I want to host with it is like a small Wikipedia, to be able to upload text and some pictures. Nothing fancy and I doubt it will get a lot of traffic.

Also other projects in future where hopefully I'll be able to utilize the cluster. (hooking up and monitoring many sensors at once in a car)

Oh and also to prove 1 fellow student that mining on a PI cluster is stupid and doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, komar said:

Oh and also to prove 1 fellow student that mining on a PI cluster is stupid and doesn't work.

Mining on anything is stupid and doesn't work. Really the only way to get USD out of cryptocurrencies is to own a cluster and charge other people money to mine on it.

9 minutes ago, komar said:

Nah not really.

I'm taking my baby steps in C and C++ this first year of university, so its more like a toy to mess with. The site, which I want to host with it is like a small Wikipedia, to be able to upload text and some pictures. Nothing fancy and I doubt it will get a lot of traffic.

Raspberry Pi can do that. Recently, Microsoft has even released an official Docker for RPi, so you can run it as a Kubernetes cluster that can handle managed .NET applications.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

totally do it, i have a cluster of 5 Pi3 and a couple of Pi2´s running kubernetes, I run all sorts of containers in there no problem at all, I run casandra, mongodb, elasticsearch, nginx, python and golang services with no issues. and the cluster is good enough for heavy house level traffic.

6 minutes ago, lacion said:

totally do it, i have a cluster of 5 Pi3 and a couple of Pi2´s running kubernetes, I run all sorts of containers in there no problem at all, I run casandra, mongodb, elasticsearch, nginx, python and golang services with no issues. and the cluster is good enough for heavy house level traffic.

can you share some photos with me and maybe some guides or anything how to program it?

23 minutes ago, komar said:

can you share some photos with me and maybe some guides or anything how to program it?

I'm currently abroad and I only have remote access to my cluster, but there is a blog post from someone that can guide you, https://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToBuildAKubernetesClusterWithARMRaspberryPiThenRunNETCoreOnOpenFaas.aspx