Cheap offsite NAS with low power footprint

Mornings.

I'd like to share my experience here.

I needed like most of us a cheap off-site storage solution for private use. I ended up with a raspberry pi 3, and a 5TB usb external disk with it's own powersupply.

I simply loaded OpenMediaVault into the memorycard, and tada - I had a 5TB storage machine offsite working at sufficient speeds!

I did however end up connecting a identical 5TB drive, giving me well, 5+5.

It's not perfect, it's not super redundant. But for the cost, it rocks the socks out of most things.

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

What are the speeds like?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

What are the speeds like?

Since the Pi does USB and ethernet on the same channels... Well, I can get the full 100mb out of it. So for gigantic backups, not so great - for logs and "normal" backups, it works just fine. My limitiations right now are the WAN connection on the other side (not the IPSEC tunnel it talks over).

Nice idea, can you run the two 5TB HDD in a raid configuration (I sure its probably not possible or at least requires some program for your pi)

Just now, Josh Someone said:

Nice idea, can you run the two 5TB HDD in a raid configuration (I sure its probably not possible or at least requires some program for your pi)

That can be achieved with some tinkering within OpenMediaVault (https://www.openmediavault.org) - but, since the speed itself isn't that great - I simply do file-tossing on the pi itself once pushed over.