can i use a y cable for 2 different fans?

fffwastaken

i was wondering if i could use a Y cable that i got with my Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans to power the noctua fan and the NZXT S340 stock case fan (FN V2 i believe) i'm not sure if this would cause any issues or damage on my Asus rog strix z370-f motherboard. i tried connecting the FN V2 fan to the power supply but its just too loud for me and an extra exhaust fan would be good, as i have 2 intake and 1 exhaust right now.

This won't damage the header but will result in 100% fan speed for the FN V2 if you're using pwm. If you use dc, that won't be an issue but why would you use dc for your noctua pwm fan?

When splitting a header, the signal is duplicated to each header. The NF-A14 uses 12v and a pwm signal for its fan speed. If you're using pwm, any 3pin 12v fans that aren't using pwm like the FN V2 will run at 100%. Why not run the case fan off of another header on the motherboard and run the header in dc mode instead?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, WoodenMarker said:

This won't damage the header but will result in 100% fan speed for the FN V2 if you're using pwm. If you use dc, that won't be an issue but why would you use dc for your noctua pwm fan?

When splitting a header, the signal is duplicated to each header. The NF-A14 uses 12v and a pwm signal for its fan speed. If you're using pwm, any 3pin 12v fans that aren't using pwm like the FN V2 will run at 100%. Why not run the case fan off of another header on the motherboard and run the header in dc mode instead?

I don't have any more headers left.

7 hours ago, fffwastaken said:

I don't have any more headers left.

What fans are you using and what headers are you powering each fan off of?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.