Using PC as a "dock" for the Switch

Go to solution Solved by Zwamdurkel,
9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can get one of these and call it a day https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch-Converter/dp/B074MYLP9C

Or you can move the dock around whenever you feel like playing it on the monitor.

Yeah something like that seems to be the best option, but I still believe it would be cool if you could just pass the signal through your computer.

I was wondering: My pc has a usb-c port on the back and I have usb-c cable, so would it be possible to use my pc as a "dock" for the switch and watch the gameplay on my monitor.

So if any of you know a software or something that allows me to do this, that would be awesome. I've added an image to make clear what I'm trying to do

- Zwamdurkel

switch-pc.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600, MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero, RAM: Kingston 2×8GB, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, Storage: Samsung PM981 1TB

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Why can't you just hook up the Switch's HDMI to your monitor?

My dock is already connected to my tv and I don't feel like buying another one if it isn't necessary

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600, MB: Asus Crosshair VI Hero, RAM: Kingston 2×8GB, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, Storage: Samsung PM981 1TB

4 minutes ago, Zwamdurkel said:

My dock is already connected to my tv and I don't feel like buying another one if it isn't necessary

You can get one of these and call it a day https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch-Converter/dp/B074MYLP9C

Or you can move the dock around whenever you feel like playing it on the monitor.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yeah something like that seems to be the best option, but I still believe it would be cool if you could just pass the signal through your computer.

1 minute ago, Zwamdurkel said:

The Switch's type C port is emitting an HDMI signal and almost all built-in Type C ports on PCs are for USB only.

And even then I don't think there's enough bandwidth to go around even on USB 3.1 Gen 2. HDMI 1.3 needs 10.8 Gbps.

• 2 weeks later...

And even if PC with USB Type-C has video out, like on laptops, it would be an output of DisplayPort/HDMI, and not a video input.

Just remember if you buy an aftermarket dock to pair it with an official nintendo power adapter (15USD Amazon) there have been field reports of some 3rd party ones ruining switches, people who use the official power supply have no issues with third party docks as far as I can tell.