Flash drive not recognized

A while ago I dropped my laptop off my bed while my Corsair Flash Voyager Go was in one of the USB ports. Unfortunately, when I picked up my laptop off the ground I noticed that the laptop basically landed directly on the flash drive after a three foot drop. On top of that, when I disconnected and then reinserted the flash drive to see if it was ok, nothing happened. I tried plugging it into my phone using the micro USB end, and still nothing. After some fiddling around I discovered that while Windows Explorer wasn't recognizing the drive, if I had it plugged in in just the right position I could at least get Windows to trigger the "device connected" noise, and Device Manager also recognizes the name of the device in the Disk Drives dropdown. However, that's where my luck has ended, as the Device Manager properties tab for the drive shows nothing in the Volumes tab of the disk properties. 

Has anyone ever experienced a USB drive behaving like this after hard impact, or know anything at all about getting Windows to see an actual volume with files when the drive is connected?

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Play around in Disk Management, just right click and select stuff until it works again. JK but there might be some more useful info in Disk Management?

The PCB inside the USB-stick probably got twisted and some component -- most likely the flash-chip itself -- had its solder-pads come loose. No software is going ti fix that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Team_RGB said:

Play around in Disk Management, just right click and select stuff until it works again. JK but there might be some more useful info in Disk Management?

With all the playing around with the drive I've done it has yet to show up in Disk Management. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Just now, gilm0re3 said:

With all the playing around with the drive I've done it has yet to show up in Disk Management. 

That's actually helpful -- yeah I mean, to me that means @WereCatf's probably right and the flash drive is fubar

If you can disassemble the drive, I'd bet you find a broken solder joint, or a cracked PCB.  It may be repairable if you have the knowledge and tools, or know someone else that does.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

5 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

If you can disassemble the drive, I'd bet you find a broken solder joint, or a cracked PCB.  It may be repairable if you have the knowledge and tools, or know someone else that does.

Here's the drive all disassembled. When I took it apart the Micro USB connector end was broken off from the USB A end of the drive. It looks like if the exposed brown color is part of the actual flash chip, it very well could be a gonner.

HVBEDXiS2dbYKEXLdTJdTORX3nFdvEhs2m5fQjZxxD2SemfzG-FST_zsgfIWSkppgamK9emus5Pd6frf7uBmjt7a9hD8=s848

Yep, that's toast.  RIP Flash Drive.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450