Windows 10 Creators Update = Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer BSOD?

xXRaineXx

Has there been any reports on whether people have had issues after updating to Creators Update and getting BSOD's?

Before updating, I've had no issues at all. Maybe one or two BSOD's, of which were clearly caused from my end from simple stupidity. But after updating, I get BSOD errors quite often now. Though it doesn't have a clear pattern.

I've updated all my drivers and cleared by registries and checked for any windows file errors etc, and some of the issues went away, but the driver BSOD is still giving me some trouble.

I haven't yet used memtest yet to check for memory issues, but I don't think it's memory... or at least I don't think it is. It worked fined before the update.

Though Last night I noticed two things which may be causing the issue. Almost all my USB ports were plugged in, so I unplugged everything except the mouse and keyboard. I haven't done any testing though, so I don't know if this is the issue. Another thing is that I noticed quite a bit of dust in the grills. I've kinda neglected cleaning the PC... so perhaps cleaning it out might help, which I will do tonight after work.

Is there anything else I can check?

Hardly any replies...

Anyways, I think I solved the issue. I went through hours of ghetto system testing, which almost drove me insane.

I came come, cleaned out the PC and nada. Although the stack-buffer BSOD sorta went away, but I got different BSOD's instead. Though the stack-buffer BSOD did appear a few times, but far less than before.

So then I reset my BIOS settings and put back my overclock to stock. But still nothing. Yet I was convinced that the ram was not an issue. Perhaps I got a malware, or so I thought. So I went and ran Malwarebytes. Then I found that the PC crashed into a BSOD everytime while running the scan. Either at memoryscan or system file scan. I tried multiple times and it would always crash. I also noticed that while file scanning, it would crash at a file called mbam.exe or something. Considering that with all the M's, I was convinced that the memory was the issue.

So first I took out all the ram and put them back into after a good blow. Perhaps some dust got in I thought. Nada. Nothing. I tried doing it, changing the spots around a few times. But nothing. And the crashes with Malwarebytes continued.

So I decided to take out 2 ram sticks out from the 4 I had in. Turned the PC on. But now there was a new problem. The mouse responded and moved, but would not click at all. Restarting wouldn't do anything. I was now at a loss, sweating and in utter shock. I restarted many times, but with no luck. So I went to Google on my phone and searched up for solutions. First came up with ''reinstalling'' the mouse device driver. But the mouse won't click, so that was out of the question. Another solution was to go to safe mode. Okay.

But the bloody password wouldn't work. I couldn't even use the recovery options because my password wouldn't be accepted. I even reset my password and made a new one. That wouldn't work either. Now I was in complete panic mode. I banged my head on the desk 5 times.

So I went back to the regular windows. Restarted a few more times... but nothing. But strangely enough. When I was in the recovery mode, the mouse kept working and clicked fine. Hmm... What if the driver isn't loading? Then I realized the Logitech Gaming software wasn't loading on boot. So when I managed to turn it on, the mouse now worked perfectly fine.

Thank the lord!

Then with the working mouse and the 2 ram sticks in, I ran Malwarebytes again. No crashes. Wut. Then I came to the conclusion that a ram stick was faulty. But I refused to give up. The 2 sticks that were working fine were in slots 2 and 4. So I could confirm that those 2 sticks and the slots worked fine. So I put in a third stick in slot 1 and tried Malwarebytes again. No crashes. Okay so it's possible that the 4th ram may be faulty, or slot 3 is faulty.

So I took out slots 2 and 4, leaving slot 1 in. No crash. Then I put the possibly faulty stick into slot 1 instead. No crash.

???

So neither of them is faulty?

Perhaps it's slot 3 that's causing problems. So I put one back into slot 3 with slot 1. No crash.

Okay...

So now I put in slot 1/2/3. No crash.

Perhaps having all 4 had some communication clashes. So holding my breath, I put in slot 1/2/3/4.

Ba-dum.

No crash, and I'm writing this as is from that point onward. I was able to successfully complete multiple Malwarebytes scans.

I then noticed that Malwarebytes had it's software version reverted, and all my Logitech settings were gone and back to factory state. So what I'm guessing is that, I somehow reset the ram modules cache or something of the like.

I'm hoping I fixed my issues and won't see more BSOD's anytime soon...

7 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

So, are we talking the older Creator's update or the new Fall Creator's update?

Old one I think. I updated when it first asked me to, then I got BSOD like right after. So I reverted back, but the BSOD still persisted from then.

1 hour ago, xXRaineXx said:

Old one I think. I updated when it first asked me to, then I got BSOD like right after. So I reverted back, but the BSOD still persisted from then.

I had some BSoD's after the initial Creator's update until I updated a bunch of core drivers.  Think your computer would avoid BSoDs long enough to at least try updating those drivers post creator's update install?  You're also really behind if you're just now installing the original creator's update.

For that matter, I had some issues with the Fall Creator's update as well until I updated some more drivers and installed further MS patches.

Keep in mind, we're always the beta testers, no matter how safe they say the software is.

32 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I had some BSoD's after the initial Creator's update until I updated a bunch of core drivers.  Think your computer would avoid BSoDs long enough to at least try updating those drivers post creator's update install?  You're also really behind if you're just now installing the original creator's update.

For that matter, I had some issues with the Fall Creator's update as well until I updated some more drivers and installed further MS patches.

Keep in mind, we're always the beta testers, no matter how safe they say the software is.

I installed the original update when it first came out. I reverted it back almost right after because of the BSOD's.

But I don't get any crashes now. Can play games fine. Somehow I managed a real ghetto miracle fix.

Just now, xXRaineXx said:

I installed the original update when it first came out. I reverted it back almost right after because of the BSOD's. I only updated to the creators update again about a month (or two) ago, can't remember exactly when. I first ignored the BSOD's, but it kept getting worse and I got desperate.

But I don't get any crashes now. Can play games fine. Somehow I managed a real ghetto miracle fix.