New RX 580 not booting

TheoR

Hello everyone! I'm new in this forum, although I'm a long time fan of linustechtips!

I just signed up so I could hopefully get some useful help from a fellow forum member.

So, the story goes like this. Yesterday I received my new XFX GTS XXX RX 580 8GB, which I was waiting anxiously for the last two weeks. As I didn't have enough time in the morning I received it, I threw it in my system, and noticed I could not get it to boot or post, although a led on the GPU turned on, as did the fans. I replugged the old GPU, and went away for the day. Then later yesterday, when I returned I tried to troubleshoot it but I have stumbled upon a number of difficulties. What I have read around the internet is that a problem might be an outdated BIOS, I tried to install a newer version, but without success, and I wanted to try out another way, in case something goes wrong the second time around. Another thing that I read might cause a problem is that my BIOS is set to legacy, and I may need to change that to UEFI. I tried removing all display drivers using DDU and then installing the card, the same thing happened, no image, mouse and keyboard didn't turn on. I also tried my older GPUs and they still work perfectly. I am at a standstill.... At this moment I am creating a quick personal file backup to try and change my disk to GPT to use UEFI. (the only problem is I may need to destroy my linux partition, but I just just reinstall everything later). What else can I try out or test before resorting to a clean windows install and maybe even contacting the reseller for a DOA request?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My system is as follows:

Windows 10 64-bit

AMD FX-8320

MSI 990FXA-GD65 V3.0 (bios version listed as E7640AMS V20.3 and K3 at the manufacturer's site)

4 x 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

older GPUs: GT 730 2gb, HD 7870 2gb, new GPU: RX 580 8gb

Corsair VS 650W

Boot drive is a single 1 TB hard drive (WD Blue)

I would get a new PSU to power the card correctly first.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I would get a new PSU to power the card correctly first.

So, you think the PSU is at fault? Since I can't go out and buy a new PSU I might try my older PSU, but that's the only thing I can do about that at this time...

14 minutes ago, TheoR said:

So, you think the PSU is at fault? Since I can't go out and buy a new PSU I might try my older PSU, but that's the only thing I can do about that at this time...

VS are known to be bad (to those informed at least), but one that's even older? Not a good idea.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

VS are known to be bad (to those informed at least), but one that's even older? Not a good idea.

Ah I see... Well I was hoping that was the last upgrade for this PC at this point after spending so much on the GPU. I'll search for a proper PSU then. Thanks for your help

I will ask the dumb question.

You did connect the PCI-E power cables and did not use splitters, right?

Outside of that, I would be curious to see what the motherboard is reporting from a voltage perspective.

Larger deltas from their rated 12v, 5v, and 3.3v ratings show a PSU in trouble as well.

I just question it being the PSU solely because the graphics card is NOT pulling enough power at POST to trigger an issue with the PSU, when the other equipment runs fine.

You would experience power off issues and what not, if the video card was overdrawing from the PSU.  You wouldn't be able to post with any card if it was strictly a PSU problem.

I am thinking it's a dud card, but the PSU should be something on your list to upgrade.

Furthermore, I can see that you are on your last legs, it being an FX system and all anyway :)

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 12/9/2017 at 4:02 PM, Jon Jon said:

I will ask the dumb question.

You did connect the PCI-E power cables and did not use splitters, right?

Outside of that, I would be curious to see what the motherboard is reporting from a voltage perspective.

Larger deltas from their rated 12v, 5v, and 3.3v ratings show a PSU in trouble as well.

I just question it being the PSU solely because the graphics card is NOT pulling enough power at POST to trigger an issue with the PSU, when the other equipment runs fine.

You would experience power off issues and what not, if the video card was overdrawing from the PSU.  You wouldn't be able to post with any card if it was strictly a PSU problem.

I am thinking it's a dud card, but the PSU should be something on your list to upgrade.

Furthermore, I can see that you are on your last legs, it being an FX system and all anyway :)

Yes I attached a pci-e connector to the card directly, but my psu had a single cable that  ends in two 6+2 pin connectors, i used one of them in the card's 8pin.

I attached a screenshot from hwmonitor, since i don't know about proper deltas on the voltage. How does that look?

About the card, it works fine in a similar system i borrowed. It's with an 650w psu also, but it's an intel system. So i guess the card is working fine.

I'm thinking about buying the Corsair RMx 650, i think it's more than enough for this system. Yes i know I'm asking a lot out of my system, but a new card I thought would be a nice addition. From what I read the FX should run fine with the RX 580, plus I needed a new card since the last one blew up :P

HWMonitor_2017-12-11_01-25-29.png

I've used crappy PSU's on GPU's before and if the GPU works it will boot. Sometimes a bad GPU will even cause shutdowns, my GT 8800 did that when it was dying. I put in the GTX 275 on a weak 500 watt PSU and it still worked without shutting my system down. So... I think your 580 be the poop in the mix.

2 hours ago, alphaproject said:

I've used crappy PSU's on GPU's before and if the GPU works it will boot. Sometimes a bad GPU will even cause shutdowns, my GT 8800 did that when it was dying. I put in the GTX 275 on a weak 500 watt PSU and it still worked without shutting my system down. So... I think your 580 be the poop in the mix.

I actually booted and used the GPU in another system... Worked fine from what i saw. I ran some FurMark tests and played a game or two. That's the only reason I think it's okay to be honest...

12 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Dang.... Now what?

I really have no idea 

So, I went ahead and bought the Corsair RM 650x. Still can't boot the GPU. Starts getting really frustrating...

After inserting the new PSU I managed to boot it after removing some RAM modules, which was the only way I could boot. I tried updating the BIOS and resetting the cmos, still no luck. At this point I have no idea what goes wrong...

19 hours ago, TheoR said:

After inserting the new PSU I managed to boot it after removing some RAM modules, which was the only way I could boot. I tried updating the BIOS and resetting the cmos, still no luck. At this point I have no idea what goes wrong...

Sounds like a really odd incompatibility between that motherboard and the graphics card.

It's been a very long time since I've seen issues like that, and I am talking mid 2000s.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

5 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

Sounds like a really odd incompatibility between that motherboard and the graphics card.

It's been a very long time since I've seen issues like that, and I am talking mid 2000s.

Then I guess there is nothing more to do, is there? Really weird... I guess I'll have to reset the cmos each time I have to boot from now on

2 minutes ago, TheoR said:

Then I guess there is nothing more to do, is there? Really weird... I guess I'll have to reset the cmos each time I have to boot from now on

I would open a case with your motherboard manufacturer as well as the graphics card manufacturer.

Maybe this is a known issue and there is a vBIOS revision that is needed, or maybe there is a known issue internal regarding your motherboard.

Just be sure to provide all of the detail regarding each part, as well as your configuration, and the troubleshooting that you have done.

That'll save you some time :)

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

2 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

I would open a case with your motherboard manufacturer as well as the graphics card manufacturer.

Maybe this is a known issue and there is a vBIOS revision that is needed, or maybe there is a known issue internal regarding your motherboard.

Just be sure to provide all of the detail regarding each part, as well as your configuration, and the troubleshooting that you have done.

That'll save you some time :)

I already sent a request to my motherboard manufacturer, I'll do so with the gpu's as well. Thanks a lot!

5 minutes ago, TheoR said:

I already sent a request to my motherboard manufacturer, I'll do so with the gpu's as well. Thanks a lot!

No problem!

Keep us in the loop.

What a weird problem, but I am not surprised given we are putting in a latest PCI-E 3.0 GPU into an aged PCI-E 2.0 slot. Though backwards compatible, that doesn't really guarantee compatibility.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

On 12/13/2017 at 9:40 PM, Jon Jon said:

No problem!

Keep us in the loop.

What a weird problem, but I am not surprised given we are putting in a latest PCI-E 3.0 GPU into an aged PCI-E 2.0 slot. Though backwards compatible, that doesn't really guarantee compatibility.

So after contacting both the motherboard and graphics card manufacturer I have come to this.

The graphic card manufacturer told me that their card is fine and I should consider the motherboard as the issue.

The motherboard manufacturer after repeatedly asking if I plugged in everything correctly and telling me to make sure everything is powered, they told me that these cards were not tested on the motherboard, since it's an older architecture board. They told me that there may be a compatibility issue with that card.

I guess I'm stuck now with new hardware I cannot use...

That is quite weird, since I can use it perfectly fine on older PCs, which have an even older architecture, must be just my board then -.-

So, does anyone have any other suggestion? Something I can try?

5 hours ago, TheoR said:

So after contacting both the motherboard and graphics card manufacturer I have come to this.

The graphic card manufacturer told me that their card is fine and I should consider the motherboard as the issue.

The motherboard manufacturer after repeatedly asking if I plugged in everything correctly and telling me to make sure everything is powered, they told me that these cards were not tested on the motherboard, since it's an older architecture board. They told me that there may be a compatibility issue with that card.

I guess I'm stuck now with new hardware I cannot use...

That is quite weird, since I can use it perfectly fine on older PCs, which have an even older architecture, must be just my board then -.-

So, does anyone have any other suggestion? Something I can try?

It simply sounds like your motherboard cannot support the card.

Like I mentioned previously, it's interesting to see this be the case with PCI-E spec.

I would suggest that if you can return the card, then do so.

Plan for a new build, and do not buy from that motherboard manufacturer again.

I personally do not buy MSI products anymore due to issues I've had back in the socket 939 days. Both my nforce4 SLI board from them died, along with my MSI Geforce GTX 780 256MB card overheating like crazy within a couple of years of use. The story may have changed over the years, but spending $600 USD in 2005 money for that stuff and getting burned, those scars run deep :).

I suggest you build around ASUS this time around. Their products are pretty mint and incredibly stable.

I am sorry that you seem to be on your last legs with this.

The only thing I could ask, is maybe try another PCI-E slot on that board, as that is a Crossfire/SLI board isn't it? Maybe the slot itself is the problem?

Actually, if you can just upgrade now, hold onto the card. I doubt we will see their prices drop anytime soon, so it may cost you more in the long run to replace :(.

Desktop:

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Logitech G903 Mouse

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

11 minutes ago, Jon Jon said:

It simply sounds like your motherboard cannot support the card.

Like I mentioned previously, it's interesting to see this be the case with PCI-E spec.

I would suggest that if you can return the card, then do so.

Plan for a new build, and do not buy from that motherboard manufacturer again.

I personally do not buy MSI products anymore due to issues I've had back in the socket 939 days. Both my nforce4 SLI board from them died, along with my MSI Geforce GTX 780 256MB card overheating like crazy within a couple of years of use. The story may have changed over the years, but spending $600 USD in 2005 money for that stuff and getting burned, those scars run deep :).

I suggest you build around ASUS this time around. Their products are pretty mint and incredibly stable.

I am sorry that you seem to be on your last legs with this.

The only thing I could ask, is maybe try another PCI-E slot on that board, as that is a Crossfire/SLI board isn't it? Maybe the slot itself is the problem?

Actually, if you can just upgrade now, hold onto the card. I doubt we will see their prices drop anytime soon, so it may cost you more in the long run to replace :(.

Hmm, curious. I've had an MSI GTX 760 that just burned up, I think some capacitors just went to flame... It's also the reason this chain of events happened :P. And now this problem... I think I won't consider MSI any time soon as well.

A new rig is out of the question, at least until I finish with my university, it's just sad that spending money on an upgrade went that way. I'll figure something out. Maybe a used motherboard for now?

Oh and yes, I did try the other PCI-E slot as well, same behaviour

Thank you for your support :)

• 11 months later...
On 12/9/2017 at 6:06 AM, TheoR said:

Hello everyone! I'm new in this forum, although I'm a long time fan of linustechtips!

I just signed up so I could hopefully get some useful help from a fellow forum member.

So, the story goes like this. Yesterday I received my new XFX GTS XXX RX 580 8GB, which I was waiting anxiously for the last two weeks. As I didn't have enough time in the morning I received it, I threw it in my system, and noticed I could not get it to boot or post, although a led on the GPU turned on, as did the fans. I replugged the old GPU, and went away for the day. Then later yesterday, when I returned I tried to troubleshoot it but I have stumbled upon a number of difficulties. What I have read around the internet is that a problem might be an outdated BIOS, I tried to install a newer version, but without success, and I wanted to try out another way, in case something goes wrong the second time around. Another thing that I read might cause a problem is that my BIOS is set to legacy, and I may need to change that to UEFI. I tried removing all display drivers using DDU and then installing the card, the same thing happened, no image, mouse and keyboard didn't turn on. I also tried my older GPUs and they still work perfectly. I am at a standstill.... At this moment I am creating a quick personal file backup to try and change my disk to GPT to use UEFI. (the only problem is I may need to destroy my linux partition, but I just just reinstall everything later). What else can I try out or test before resorting to a clean windows install and maybe even contacting the reseller for a DOA request?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My system is as follows:

Windows 10 64-bit

AMD FX-8320

MSI 990FXA-GD65 V3.0 (bios version listed as E7640AMS V20.3 and K3 at the manufacturer's site)

4 x 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz

older GPUs: GT 730 2gb, HD 7870 2gb, new GPU: RX 580 8gb

Corsair VS 650W

Boot drive is a single 1 TB hard drive (WD Blue)

Hey I am having the exact same problem, were you ever able to figure it out?

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue as well. Brand new RX 580 

i5 3550

Corsair CX750M (that I bought hoping I would solve it that way)

10 gb of RAM. 

Toshiba 240 GB SSD boot drive

2x 560 5400 rmp Toshiba HDD in raid 0 (currently disabled and not installed while trouble shooting )