DIY possible?

Docretier

I plan on getting the Siberia 800 headset by steel series, the wireless receiver requires a toslink port to enable Dolby 7.1 surround. My motherboard doesn’t have a toslink port, but it does have a two pin spdif header on it. I can buy a SPDIF output bracket and connect it to that header, but the only problem with that is the 5v pin is supposed to be the third one and that powers the light in the toslink port. So if I were to. Connect the cable to a 5v unsee usb 2 header, would that work?

4 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I plan on getting the Siberia 800 headset by steel series, the wireless receiver requires a toslink port to enable Dolby 7.1 surround. My motherboard doesn’t have a toslink port, but it does have a two pin spdif header on it. I can buy a SPDIF output bracket and connect it to that header, but the only problem with that is the 5v pin is supposed to be the third one and that powers the light in the toslink port. So if I were to. Connect the cable to a 5v unsee usb 2 header, would that work?

I dont see why not, as long as youre not drawing more than 5v, and that your motherboard can output that at all. Just make sure the pinouts are right or youre doomed

1 hour ago, Bajantechnician said:

I dont see why not, as long as youre not drawing more than 5v, and that your motherboard can output that at all. Just make sure the pinouts are right or youre doomed

The 5v only powers the light in the toslink I'm pretty sure, data is handled through the two pins. So what harm could possibly come from plugging a light into the other pins of USB 2 headers

2 hours ago, Docretier said:

The 5v only powers the light in the toslink I'm pretty sure, data is handled through the two pins. So what harm could possibly come from plugging a light into the other pins of USB 2 headers

uhhhhh... not sure of what youre trying to say...but.... shorts?....

Which motherboard do you have? There is a type of jack that is both stereo jack AND optical (flexjack), all you need is a toslink cable with a stereo plug adapter.