Should you plug in your blu ray player to your soundbar?

xdeathshot20

So currently I have a Sony 4k blu ray player with a Samsung Dolby atmos Sound bar.  Both things have 2 HDMI outputs.  Right now I have the Sound bar plugged into my tv via HDMI using the arc port and the the blu ray player plugged into my tv also via HDMI as well so I can use it when watching tv.  My question is I've heard people plugging in their blu ray players into the Sound bar for better audio quailty.  Does this actually do anything and should I plug them into each other via HDMI or just leave it as is?

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

29 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

So currently I have a Sony 4k blu ray player with a Samsung Dolby atmos Sound bar.  Both things have 2 HDMI outputs.  Right now I have the Sound bar plugged into my tv via HDMI using the arc port and the the blu ray player plugged into my tv also via HDMI as well so I can use it when watching tv.  My question is I've heard people plugging in their blu ray players into the Sound bar for better audio quailty.  Does this actually do anything and should I plug them into each other via HDMI or just leave it as is?

If you're TV is capable of doing what's called 'Bitstreaming' or 'Passthrough' for ARC, it's irrelevant.  Bitstreaming is just what it sounds like, the TV will pass the HDMI audio untouched through the ARC port.  As in, the idata stream will be pushed through the TV without alteration.  There will be no changes and and 'loss in quality' will be purely imagined by the viewer.

34 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

My question is I've heard people plugging in their blu ray players into the Sound bar for better audio quailty.

all the talk about "better audio quality" on an all-digital connection like HDMI is premium bullshit. 

if your TV handles ARC correctly, it will pass the audio through to the soundbar without altering a single bit. 

plugging source devices like BD players and game consoles directly into the soundbar is only required if the TV fails to handle ARC properly - like when you have dolby digital audio or multi channel PCM coming out of the blu ray player but the TV messes with the audio stream and sends it to the soundbar as a plain old stereo signal