Best Linux Driver For AMD RadeonHD 7970 ?

Hello there,

I am a long time Linux user but recently updated my old GTS450 Video Card to an HD7970
(I know, still old tech but I can't afford more than that for a while!)

Wish I knew what I was getting into before I did the switch... Driver support for this card is a nightmare on Ubuntu Linux.

fglrx works great but I need at least Ubuntu 16.04 for some stuff I do and support for this driver has been dropped after Ubuntu 14.04

Stock drivers on 16.04 are horrible, can't run anything at more than 12-15fps (runs nicely above 60 fps in Win7)

amdgpu-pro driver... can't get it to work.. whatever I do, it just won't do more than 2d and if it does 3d, it seems like the card can't ramp-up clock (stays on low power mode I think)

If you guys (and girls) have a winning solution for this card under linux, please tell me what you did! Google is getting tired from my queries related to this GPU on Linux!

BTW, I am in the process of updating my LTS 16.04 Ubuntu to the 17.04 then 17.10 for the new MESA drivers and Wayland thing... Also for the new features preview of 18.04.

Thanks.

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

=( have the same issue, switched from my old gtx560 to R9 280, cant even get 1920x1080 from it =(, thou it run quick and nice on my windows machine

8 hours ago, Name Taken said:

AMDGPU-PRO does not support the 7970 but does the R9 280.

I emailed AMD support on that matter and the answer was that the driver does support the 7970, it is just not stated in the documentation.

Since the R9-280 is basically the same GPU with some tweaks, I would have been surprised it wouldn't work.

Although, I am starting to think that it is not stated in the documentation because it is not fully tested or something...

I will continue exchanging with AMD on the subject (long response time... always the same guy answering... he is probably alone taking those linux related requests)

12 hours ago, CK1968 said:

11 hours ago, Name Taken said:

AMDGPU-PRO does not support the 7970 but does the R9 280.

Sorry, for hijacking the thread. I actually have Debian9 not an Ubuntu. On https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo its says that " Supported Devices. The amdgpu driver in Debian 9 "Stretch" supports newer AMD GPUs." But on the AMDGPU-Pro page it only list these:

Does it mean i have to install Ubuntu drivers since Ubuntu is Based on Debian?

1 hour ago, Eluoci said:

Sorry, for hijacking the thread. I actually have Debian9 not an Ubuntu. On https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo its says that " Supported Devices. The amdgpu driver in Debian 9 "Stretch" supports newer AMD GPUs." But on the AMDGPU-Pro page it only list these:

Does it mean i have to install Ubuntu drivers since Ubuntu is Based on Debian?

Found this excellent article, to answer my own question. Apparently there is "driver-less" install (what ever that means), screen resolution went from 1024 x something to 1920 x1080, got to run some 3D bench marks - Unigine Heaven at 45fps. Haven't tested dual monitor set up yet. I'm a wooden league noob at linux, but maybe something like that can be done to Ubuntu.

Hum... I will check your "driverless" lead tonight... Unless you mean using default open source or MESA drivers ?

If you use this PPA and use the open source drivers, you might get better performance. Mesa has improved a lot since Ubuntu 16.04 was released.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:38 AM, noahdvs said:

If you use this PPA and use the open source drivers, you might get better performance. Mesa has improved a lot since Ubuntu 16.04 was released.

Tried this PPA and broke my Linux :(

I am trying a fresh install of 16.04 right now and will retry padoka.

I have weird issues though... I can't chose which monitor gets the launcher anymore and can't deactivate "sticky edges"

I am really getting mad right now... I might end-up reinstalling over but clearing my home folder... dunno..,

• 1 year later...

Any news on that? I have the same card but no specific constraints about which Linux distribution I want, though a latest version would be preferable. I just want to get it work correctly as I would try to use it to mine (except one of you consider it a bad idea). In the worst case I would try it on windows. 

Thank you! 

53 minutes ago, gregunz said:

please do not use amdgpu pro, use the open source version instead, (also using amdgpu pro would require the following steps anyway since the kernel driver is the same) on a 7970 it would also require manual configuration to disable Radeon and use only amdgpu

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_(SI)_and_Sea_Islands_(CIK)_support

All explained there 

If something changed you would notice that by getting into a live USB of a recent Linux distro and see the driver that it is using 

Edited by Guest

I haven't post on that subject but here is the status:

I am now on ElementaryOs (will probably switch to Manjaro soon)

I updated to latest kernel when I did the fresh install.

Then I installed the latest MESA drivers from X-Swat PPA, it performs on par with windows drivers. I had issues running Vulkan though... I have to check this out later.

Here is what I used to install the drivers (Ubuntu based distro):

sudo usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
sudo reboot

The first bit is important. You want to make sure you are part of the "video" group otherwise it won't boot with the GUI after install.

I will read through the guide you linked tonight Lukyp, thanks.

BTW, the 7970 / R9 280 is a really capable little card for 1080p

It is not as power efficient as newer cards, but it will do 1080p above 60fps without a doubt... It is just loud when it does!

I realized that my card "throttling" issue was due to dual monitors... The card would sometimes not ramp-up when running a game on a monitor while the other was showing 2D graphics. I made a quick arandr script that I run with my game launchers to switch to single monitor when playing a game and resume to dual when the game finishes... works great!