Watercooling with Car Radiator?

As you may know Cars are watercooled and use Radiators too.

So do you think you could use a Car Radiator for a PC Watercooling? They are bigger and you could get them cheap.

Possible, but use an very old car radiator. The new ones are fully made of aluminium, and you need copper or brass or else it will corrode your waterblocks.

be also sure to flush them out properly with destilled water with pure alcohol mixed in it.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

If you have the space - go for it. :D A build log with one of those would be nice; have to give it a nice ole' big clean though, don't even want to know what's in there.

not impossible, but i believe it's a lot of work to get it up

It would probably take forever and one nice size piece of rust and there goes your pump.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

And... what bloody pump would have enough pressure to move everything through a rad that big? :) Even a Laign D5 at full speed might be pressed to hot that...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I have dreamed for so long of this I will try it once :) and i dont think he is using a regullar pc pomp mabye somethin you would us in a swimming pools water filter.

Maybe a pond pump, from Home Depot or such?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Keep in mind that on most vehicle cooling systems, the water pump is powered through the fan belt on the engine itself – which means mechanically directly driven by the engine. So how much power does such a pump require? Don’t know, but it is more than 24W (as you can find on a killer Swiftech pump). Of course this pump will have to push water through the engine block as well, but I think there is a lot of resistance in a vehicle rad. And two 10" fans will also require some power and should make some noise as well. But of course – could be awesome!

Another thing I would like to try: No radiators, no fans. Pumping water through the systems and out of the case. Water circuit connected to a coil of steel pipe inside a tank containing fluid nitrogen (–196 deg Celsius at 1 bar) cooling down the water which goes back into the case for another round. Of corse the nitrogen will boil at room temperature (in which case you will have to refill once in a while) and the coolant need some antifreeze in case of water temperatures dropping below zero deg Celsius – but guys.. no fans, dead silent and an insane cooling performance!

Keep in mind that on most vehicle cooling systems, the water pump is powered through the fan belt on the engine itself – which means mechanically directly driven by the engine. So how much power does such a pump require? Don’t know, but it is more than 24W (as you can find on a killer Swiftech pump). Of course this pump will have to push water through the engine block as well, but I think there is a lot of resistance in a vehicle rad. And two 10" fans will also require some power and should make some noise as well. But of course – could be awesome!

Another thing I would like to try: No radiators, no fans. Pumping water through the systems and out of the case. Water circuit connected to a coil of steel pipe inside a tank containing fluid nitrogen (–196 deg Celsius at 1 bar) cooling down the water which goes back into the case for another round. Of corse the nitrogen will boil at room temperature (in which case you will have to refill once in a while) and the coolant need some antifreeze in case of water temperatures dropping below zero deg Celsius – but guys.. no fans, dead silent and an insane cooling performance!

with watercooling and air cooling, you cant get lower then your ambient temperature. so that wont be a problem, unless you place the radiator outside of your house.

The hosing that goes back into the house, is colder than the room temperature where condense will form on. and you dont want water in your pc ;)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

I've used a heater core in my friends budget WC rig. It works fine. Your main challenges are attaching barbs/fittings and inserting pins for fan mounts.

but please, make sure your rad is brass/coper and not aluminum. if it is aluminum, it will corrode on your waterblocks (which are brass/copper/nickel) which will look ugly and make everything leak after a few months.