Numbers dont work except 5 and 6

Buffertube
Go to solution Solved by Buffertube,

So, i got angry and broke the keyboard in half and bought a new one.

So, i cleaned my keyboard today and the way i clean it is that i completely disassemble it, wash the "body" and the keys and then put it back together. I usually have problems with keys not working but i always manage to fix them but today, when i fixed it, all the numbers except 5 and 6 were not working. scroll lock and pause break also didnt work. I tried disassembling it and then assembling it again but nothing. I googled it and found out that many other people had this problem so i tried the troubleshooting tips that i found. None worked, i tried reinstalling the drivers, updating them etc. i also tried holding alt+ctrl+enter but that didnt help either. I opened up bios and the numbers didnt work there either. I hooked up another keyboard to my pc and the numbers there worked. So can anybody help me with this hardware issue. And btw the keyboard i have is a Chinese motospeed k70 membrane keyboard.

what method of washing the body did you use?

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

You'll have to keep cleaning the foils inside the keyboard.

Open up the keyboard, take out the membrane and the sheets of plastic under the membrane stuff... There should be three ... bottom traces, top traces and some plastic sheet between them to keep contacts under each button from touching and triggering a button press.

Membrane_keyboard_diagram_FULL_SCALE.png

640px-Inside_Computer_keyboard.jpg

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_keyboard

You'll have to get some cotton swabs or some paper towel or something, wet it with sanitary alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and wipe the sheets with the traces and the sheet in between and then use a hair dryer from some distance to move some warm air over the sheets to accelerate evaporation of the alcohol.   Don't bring the hair dryer too close, you'll melt the plastics.

Don't concentrate only on the area with the numbers... there's a bunch of keys connected together for example the M key could be connected to digits 2 and 3 so a tiny bit of water or something that keeps the two sheets with traces in contact (as if you'd have the M button pressed constantly) could block the numeric keys from working.

Just rub those sheets with some alcohol to make sure there's no water or residue or something that would make one key be pressed all the time.

Also make sure the sheet between those two sheets with traces is clear of water droplets.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

You'll have to keep cleaning the foils inside the keyboard.

Open up the keyboard, take out the membrane and the sheets of plastic under the membrane stuff... There should be three ... bottom traces, top traces and some plastic sheet between them to keep contacts under each button from touching and triggering a button press.

Membrane_keyboard_diagram_FULL_SCALE.png

640px-Inside_Computer_keyboard.jpg

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_keyboard

You'll have to get some cotton swabs or some paper towel or something, wet it with sanitary alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and wipe the sheets with the traces and the sheet in between and then use a hair dryer from some distance to move some warm air over the sheets to accelerate evaporation of the alcohol.   Don't bring the hair dryer too close, you'll melt the plastics.

Don't concentrate only on the area with the numbers... there's a bunch of keys connected together for example the M key could be connected to digits 2 and 3 so a tiny bit of water or something that keeps the two sheets with traces in contact (as if you'd have the M button pressed constantly) could block the numeric keys from working.

Just rub those sheets with some alcohol to make sure there's no water or residue or something that would make one key be pressed all the time.

Also make sure the sheet between those two sheets with traces is clear of water droplets.

I did this and it didnt help 

So, i got angry and broke the keyboard in half and bought a new one.