Looking for new router

Jeramathi1992

If someone could give me a few suggestions. I'm looking in the 200-300 dollar range. Looking for gaming prioritization. Any advice?

Thank You

Jeramy

The router I use at home is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AC2400-Gigabit-Router-AiProtection/dp/B00MPI5N7U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508088382&sr=1-1&keywords=AC87U

It's a pretty nice one with quite some good features. You might throw a look on it.

My Box of Fµn:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4

MoBo - MSI B350 PC Mate

Case - Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass

PSU - BeQuiet 500W PurePower 10

Fans - BeQuiet PureWings 120mm x3; 140mm x2

Cooler - Corsair H100i v2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and THE POWER OF RGB

13 minutes ago, Jeramathi1992 said:

If someone could give me a few suggestions. I'm looking in the 200-300 dollar range. Looking for gaming prioritization. Any advice?

Thank You

Jeramy

If gaming is your main priority invest the money in a good wired connection instead.

I would have to agree with @Levisallanon, if you want the best gaming experience then you need to invest in a Ethernet cable to your router. All gaming prioritization is, is QoS. Most consumer grade routers have shit QoS. Which is why @Chris_Hercules has suggested pfSenese as it has great QoS options, plus it has a lot more features as well, at least from what I read. 

At the end of the day it comes down to your internet connection. What package are you on? How many devices are you using? Are you doing any streaming? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

We have 100 meg connection, already have Ethernet but when someone download etc impacts the connection too much, looking for a solution without building a big computer.  

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Which is why @Chris_Hercules has suggested pfSenese as it has great QoS options, plus it has a lot more features as well, at least from what I read. 

This and the fact that you can have a very powerful firewall/ router for relatively cheap. You can buy new or reuse an old x86-64 processor, a small hard drive processor and an 8 gig stick of ram (yes, overkill for a home user) and your network card(s) for  200 dollars or less. If you are an avid computer enthusiast you probably have enough spare hardware sitting around to get started. Depending on how you go you will need a network switch BUT..... If you recycle an older commercial router that you can install DD-WRT on the you have your wireless access and a few ports for hard wiring. This will all allow you unbelievable stability, upgradability and expandability. Plus theres a huge community out there for support. Dive in and give it a try.

2 minutes ago, Jeramathi1992 said:

We have 100 meg connection, already have Ethernet but when someone download etc impacts the connection too much, looking for a solution without building a big computer.

You don't need a big computer. you can go ini ITX with dual lan on board and put it in a tiny industrial case. You can use one of the sff computers such as dell or someother brand that you can pick up dirt cheap. so many options. 

8 minutes ago, Jeramathi1992 said:

As @Chris_Hercules stated you dont need a full ATX machine. Ive played around on PC parts pick for mini ITX machines. Technically all you need is 2 nics. One for WAN and the other for LAN. Then you just buy a switch big enough to suit your needs. The only negatives about this approach I have seen is power usage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

The only negatives about this approach I have seen is power usage. 

even that's not a huge issue in a lot of instances. Ive used DC powered boards with integrated intel atom processors and 4 gigs of ram and they hum along perfectly.

31 minutes ago, Jeramathi1992 said:

please provide more information, because now there seem to be more than one user/device which is connected (while the opening post didn't specify this).
if you want good suggestions you need to give as much information as possible.
And again wireless connections add a lot of latency to your connection, and this is what is important while gaming, so you still want to look into wired connections to your device(s) instead of wireless if that is the important part.
QoS could be a sollution if downloads take over your whole connection, but it depens on which protocol they are using etc if you can filter this easily with QoS. If you can manage all devices in your network I would sugest just looking into the applications which do this downloading and see if you can cap their download speeds.
A 100 mbit/s line should still be able to have 2 devices downloading with 5 mb/s while still having bandwith left for gaming if there are no other devices using the connection.

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

As @Chris_Hercules stated you dont need a full ATX machine. Ive played around on PC parts pick for mini ITX machines. Technically all you need is 2 nics. One for WAN and the other for LAN. Then you just buy a switch big enough to suit your needs. The only negatives about this approach I have seen is power usage. 

I use a SFF dell optiplex for pfsense