Displays via thunderbolt card

BrownZeus

Hey guys just a general question of curiosity,

So I know one can add a thunderbolt card to a computer, plug your gpu into it, and then using a thunderbolt cable and hub you can hook it up to a monitor thats far away or in a different room to reduce the amount of cabling that needs to be run from pc to monitor. 

If anyone recalls, Linus has done this for his quiet room build. For those who haven't, he built out a server cabinet in a dedicated closet, put his personal pc in said server cabinet, and then ran a singular thunderbolt cable from the pc to his desk, and you guys basically can guess the rest.

So just out of curiosity, has anyone else also done this? What frame rates response times have you gotten? (Please include gpu and cpu)

For those wondering why I'm curious: I'd like to see if its a reliable option if ever presented with a scenario where this would be preferred, or overall better. Not just for gaming but also for general purpose computing

Edit:

Actually also a question of understanding, I've noticed some Thunderbolt cards on the market that don't specify a Display in, but I assume or imagine will somehow provide display out, in this case, does the card tap into your dedicated gpu or the cpu's gpu?