Are roaches common in US/Canada?

Arsen258

Hey, 

Question mainly for American and Canadian users but feel free to join: Are roaches really a common thing in US/Canada? I mean there are no roaches where I live. I've never seen one and I'm 25. Last month I was in Thailand with my friend from NY. First evening in, a big fat cockroach walked from under my bed (and it was a pretty good hotel) . I nearly had a hard attack and he was like: 'WTF? It's just a roach. We are in the city it's normal'. And he couldn't understand what's the problem. Well it was. The biggest bug I've ever seen was probably a hornet. So again, are reaches really a common thing in US/Canada or wherever you live? 

Nope never seen one 

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

Depends on the area. In wetter climates or in the south(east) of the US, they are pretty common.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I live in Brazil and i can tell, roaches a very common thing, mainly due to our poor sewage infrastructure. Rats are very common as well.

Here in the house is quite hard to find both of 'em, because i had the house cleaned up of insects before i moved in. The other day i tore half the ceiling down too put a new one (changing from PVC to hardwood) and there wasn't a single insect over there, but casually some may appear near the garden...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Radroaches_BCB.jpg

Roaches appear anywhere. Usually due to filth. Most common in apartment buildings in the basement.

I'm nowhere near the US or Canada, but I've lived most of my life in apartment buildings, mostly at the ground floor.

No matter how clean you keep your apartment, they're bound to pop up out of water drains. Hell, I've seen them coming out of the crapper. (roaches being one of the reasons I moved from my previous apartment).

General rules of thumb to avoid roaches: use filters on water drains (sinks, tubs, floor drains), don't leave food out in the open or under furniture (that's also how you get ants!) and keep your living space clean. I'm not talking surgery theater clean, but you get the idea

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

They aren't really common, up in Quebec. At the very least, I've never seen those huge roaches that you sometimes see on TV or movies.

If your home and its surrounding are clean, you shouldn't have to worry about roaches, generally.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I live in NY state and have never seen one anyplace I've lived. I have seen them in certain places though. Not sure what kind of place they chose to go to.

Our house is fairly clean but cockroaches do appear outside of our house and sneak in through the garage every once in a while. I live in the southern United States so it really should be taking in that context.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Radroaches_BCB.jpg

Roaches appear anywhere. Usually due to filth. Most common in apartment buildings in the basement.

I'm nowhere near the US or Canada, but I've lived most of my life in apartment buildings, mostly at the ground floor.

No matter how clean you keep your apartment, they're bound to pop up out of water drains. Hell, I've seen them coming out of the crapper. (roaches being one of the reasons I moved from my previous apartment).

General rules of thumb to avoid roaches: use filters on water drains (sinks, tubs, floor drains), don't leave food out in the open or under furniture (that's also how you get ants!) and keep your living space clean. I'm not talking surgery theater clean, but you get the idea

Ugh.

You know how some people modded skyrim to remove the spiders? I have seriously considered the same for Fallout 4 and rad roaches. That's a true horror experience specially when they fly at my character face.

-------

Current Rig

-------

not here.

The answer to your question is "it depends"

Typically you find them in low income housing or apartments.

Low income tends to have a lot of turn over with its tenants and all you need is 1 slob and you will likely end up with roaches.  Once an infestation starts it is damned hard to get rid of 100%.

Apartments, even upper scale ones, are also susceptible as you just need one person in the building to bring them in for the entire building to get infested.

When i was a teenager the house i grew up in got infested really bad with them.  For most of the time we lived there things were fine, but we got a used bed from a friend of my mother's and we didn't know until too late but that friend had a roach problem at her home. 

6 hours ago, Arsen258 said:

Hey, 

Question mainly for American and Canadian users but feel free to join: Are roaches really a common thing in US/Canada? I mean there are no roaches where I live. I've never seen one and I'm 25. Last month I was in Thailand with my friend from NY. First evening in, a big fat cockroach walked from under my bed (and it was a pretty good hotel) . I nearly had a hard attack and he was like: 'WTF? It's just a roach. We are in the city it's normal'. And he couldn't understand what's the problem. Well it was. The biggest bug I've ever seen was probably a hornet. So again, are reaches really a common thing in US/Canada or wherever you live? 

The answer is: It depends.

In most major US cities, you can find Cockroaches in a lot of buildings - especially low-income buildings. Most American houses will not have cockroaches at all, and any "good" Hotel wouldn't have them normally (outbreaks can happen anywhere, but a good hotel will exterminate them immediately). New York City has a particular reputation for being a roach infested area.

In Canada, same thing applies really. I've never seen one, I don't think. Not even in a Hotel, but it does happen now and then.

In the city I live in, there are almost none at all. I'm sure some of the slummier buildings may get them, and shitbox houses that are either abandoned or just aren't taken care of, maybe. But not in any apartment building or house I've ever lived in.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)