Wrong IP configuration?

NorthLake
Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
2 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

I do know the server has to be on for the site to work, but I only use the site myself just for trying out things (such as js or php). As for the issue: The maximum amount of devices that can connect is 245, and we have definitely not reached that limit. And the lease time is set to 3600 seconds, but I have no idea what that means or what it does. Would resetting the router help anything? 

that's an hour, and most routers have a setting to limit the number of connected devices, like wifi limited to 32, or the total number of devices limited to 12, for example, it can be handy to stop people using networks you don't want. 

There definitely is something like this going on or similar, can you update the firmware of the router and reset it? Might be a config error.

So this isn't really about servers, but I thought here would be the most logical place to ask something about ip adresses.

So sometimes when I start my computer I don't have access to internet or other devices on my router. As I don't know what the problem is, I try to run windows solver, and amazingly it works. Sometimes. The times it does work it says it solved a "wrong ip configuration" by switching the network adapter off and on. I do run a site on my pc, so I have tried some things there, but I got the site to work without a static up (don't ask me how, I don't know). The times my internet doesn't work the ip settings are set to auto, so I guess the problem is in the router/modem/whatever it's called? If anyone can help me, that'd be great! 

7 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

So this isn't really about servers, but I thought here would be the most logical place to ask something about ip adresses.

So sometimes when I start my computer I don't have access to internet or other devices on my router. As I don't know what the problem is, I try to run windows solver, and amazingly it works. Sometimes. The times it does work it says it solved a "wrong ip configuration" by switching the network adapter off and on. I do run a site on my pc, so I have tried some things there, but I got the site to work without a static up (don't ask me how, I don't know). The times my internet doesn't work the ip settings are set to auto, so I guess the problem is in the router/modem/whatever it's called? If anyone can help me, that'd be great! 

You don't need a static IP to host a site, it just means the IP might randomly change and fuck it up if you have DNS servers running. I think it's just the router not assinging DCHP IP address correctly, do you have a limit on how it can assign or some other issue that stops it doing so? I would imagine that it happens after 24 hours when the lease is up. Also you'd need to leave a PC on all the time for  a website to be hosted, I have rack mounted servers (I'm using one right now to type this in fact) for hosting

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

You don't need a static IP to host a site, it just means the IP might randomly change and fuck it up if you have DNS servers running. I think it's just the router not assinging DCHP IP address correctly, do you have a limit on how it can assign or some other issue that stops it doing so? I would imagine that it happens after 24 hours when the lease is up. Also you'd need to leave a PC on all the time for  a website to be hosted, I have rack mounted servers (I'm using one right now to type this in fact) for hosting

I do know the server has to be on for the site to work, but I only use the site myself just for trying out things (such as js or php). As for the issue: The maximum amount of devices that can connect is 245, and we have definitely not reached that limit. And the lease time is set to 3600 seconds, but I have no idea what that means or what it does. Would resetting the router help anything? 

2 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

that's an hour, and most routers have a setting to limit the number of connected devices, like wifi limited to 32, or the total number of devices limited to 12, for example, it can be handy to stop people using networks you don't want. 

There definitely is something like this going on or similar, can you update the firmware of the router and reset it? Might be a config error.

Yours faithfully

21 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I think I understand the problem, but I don't see a setting anywhere of how may decides can be connected at once, and I have done so much tweaking to the settings that I don't want to reset it. I think I will contact the provider. Thanks for the help.